Idaho Unit 2 moose

Got lucky and drew the Unit 2 non res moose tag for the Oct. 1-14 season. It’s about a 8 hour drive for me to get to Spirit Lake so I plan on doing a handful of scouting trips through the year to get a good feel for the terrain. Is there any members on the forum that know the unit or have had the tag that are willing to give some guidance? I prefer walking behind locked gates if that is possible in the area. Usually good for 10+ miles a day depending on terrain.

Lprough

FNG
Researched that unit pretty hard before applying. Ended up drawing the unit next to you this year. But from what I’ve been told hunting the timber/paper land behind spirit lake to Washington border is one of the best spots according to the biologist. A permit to access the land is pretty reasonably priced too. Good luck

OP
NW_Bucketlist
Researched that unit pretty hard before applying. Ended up drawing the unit next to you this year. But from what I’ve been told hunting the timber/paper land behind spirit lake to Washington border is one of the best spots according to the biologist. A permit to access the land is pretty reasonably priced too. Good luck

that’s pretty much the area I was thinking I did a lot of looking before applying too but didn’t contact the bio yet probably going to do that this week. Do you have his/her number by chance? Good luck on your hunt as well it’s always fun to look forward to a hunt all year long.

Lprough

FNG
I have her number written down somewhere. I'll find it and send it to you.

Due to their access fees the Inland Empire Paper lands near Spirit Lake and Rathdrum are probably patrolled better than the other timber lands in the unit that allow free access.

If you plan to hunt any Stimson Lumber or any of the many other timber company lands unfortunately the closed gates mean very little to locals. Nearly every Stimson gate has a 4-wheeler trail going around it. I've seen guys take pick ups around these gates. It sucks to get up early to walk in the dark a few miles behind a gate to get set up and then just as first light is breaking over the area you hear the rumble of a 4-wheeler or side-by-side.

Unfortunately it is a reality of hunting the panhandle, so don't plan on being alone behind those gates.

That’s my stomping grounds right there. I concur with the above that the paper company lands in 2 usually have quite a bit of traffic on them, usually from the logging operations themselves. That seems to deter a lot of folks, it doesn’t bother me much though, because I’ve had a lot of success in freshly logged areas. Usually the loggers are a friendly bunch too.

October 1-14 should be a nice time to go too, because it’s in between archery and rifle seasons for the other critters.

coop2424

WKR
I live in the unit and spend a good amount of time in it. Paper company is going to be your best bet. If you want to send me your number I can for sure let you know of anything I see.

Besides the Inland Empire Paper lands there is a lot of Stimson lumber and other corporate timber lands that are open to public access. Unfortunately the locals have zero regard for gates and closed roads. If they can cut a trail around a gate they will.

OP
NW_Bucketlist
That’s my stomping grounds right there. I concur with the above that the paper company lands in 2 usually have quite a bit of traffic on them, usually from the logging operations themselves. That seems to deter a lot of folks, it doesn’t bother me much though, because I’ve had a lot of success in freshly logged areas. Usually the loggers are a friendly bunch too.

October 1-14 should be a nice time to go too, because it’s in between archery and rifle seasons for the other critters.

I live in a logging town in SW Washington so I usually hunt around logging operations around here animals are usually pretty close to them for the fresh feed. I appreciate your feedback as soon as the IEP opens there gates I will be heading over. Are the logging roads pretty well groomed over there? I hunted New Mexico last year and the logging roads down there were a eye opener took 4 hours to travel 10 miles.

OP
NW_Bucketlist
I live in the unit and spend a good amount of time in it. Paper company is going to be your best bet. If you want to send me your number I can for sure let you know of anything I see.

Thanks I really appreciate it. I don’t have enough posts on here yet to send a PM but once I do I will for sure send you my number.is there any good areas to camp around there? my internet searches are not turning much up.

coop2424

WKR
I believe most gates are currently open on IEP at least I have been through two different ones the last week. I know all aren’t though because the one I want to get by is currently closed.