Idaho unit 21

I'm going to idaho on an archery hunt in 2020 for elk and mule deer. Does anyone have any advise or recommendations for this hunt. This is my first trip to idaho any advise is helpful. Thanks Josh

Very very steep. Not many roads. Not a very "game rich" area. To give you an idea of how steep it is, I had a sheep tag in that unit. When I killed my sheep at 475 yards at a very uphill angle, he literally supermaned of the cliff he was on and ended up about 30 yards in front of me across the little creek. His entire jaw was broken and horns were very scarred. There is elk there, but can't stress how steep it is.

OP
H
Thanks if there are elk there I'm willing to put the work in I'll be there for 2 weeks so hopefully that's enough time to find a decent bull.

Very rugged steep country. Eat your wheaties. I've seen more wolf sign in that unit than I've seen elk sign. They are there but can be hard to find.

Broomd

WKR
Thanks if there are elk there I'm willing to put the work in I'll be there for 2 weeks so hopefully that's enough time to find a decent bull.

Admire your tenacity but that's the same. exact. thing. every guy says here before he comes out beaten up and disappointed after two weeks of vaca time in brutal, game-void country...won't be the last.

87TT

WKR
I would say pick elk or deer but not both. Two weeks is a short time in new country. I would shoot the first elk or deer I got close enough to. Plus one on getting it out. It can be hot early in the year.

Fullfan

WKR
Get in shape and when you think you are doing good, add another 6-8 miles to your uphill run. Idaho will humble you and wear you out mentally and physically..

gargra03

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back form a late season cow hunt in Idaho, its very very steep country. I would choose either a Elk or Mule deer if you are going solo. As noted above if you plan on packing an elk out by yourself it will take you several days. Be prepared to spend a lot of time glassing. It will humble you if you aren't prepared but is one of my favorite places to hunt

I hunted this unit for mule deer last fall, first time there. I will probably be going back this Sept for elk. Feel free to pm me.

mwebs

WKR
I hunted this unit for mule deer last fall, first time there. I will probably be going back this Sept for elk. Feel free to pm me.

Why? Because he joined immediately asked a unit specific question, then never posted again? That's all it takes to get unit specific information for you guys...

Why? Because he joined immediately asked a unit specific question, then never posted again? That's all it takes to get unit specific information for you guys...

I didn’t post any info at all for the general public here like others have. At least I made it so they have to make an effort and contact me specifically.

Wassid82

WKR
Although you can find both species in the same areas the way most people hunt them is completely different. When it comes to elk you need to play all of your cards right every time and then get a dash a luck. Deer are much more forgiving in ID. The post above about glassing is absolutely correct. hope it works out well for you

270quest

WKR
I have hunted 21 for 20 plus years and have killed 3 elk - lot better units to look at for opportunities. Big countries and early in the archery season it’s damn hot...have to watch out for rattlers easily up there