Idaho unit 27 sheep

Rizzy

WKR
I drew one of the sheep tags😁 and I have already scouted it in years past and located Rams. I will for sure make a scouting trip in July though.
I’m curious how much meat is on a Ram as compared to a Buck? I want to get an idea of how many game bags and what size to carry during the hunt.

cbarg14

FNG
I drew one of the sheep tags and I have already scouted it in years past and located Rams. I will for sure make a scouting trip in July though.
I’m curious how much meat is on a Ram as compared to a Buck? I want to get an idea of how many game bags and what size to carry during the hunt.
New to sheep hunting so couldn't tell you but guessing a buck would be about the same. Good luck to you!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

USMC-40

WKR
I would say between 50-65 pounds of boned out meat on a ram. They are heavy, but their hides are thick as heck and the ones I have seen have a healthy layer of fat under the hides.

Congrats on the tag!

About 70lbs is accurate. I used 5 medium sized quarter bags, same size you would use for a muley. I think I used argali bags, similar to kuiu. The extra bag was for the cape and head. I didn't cape for full body as I knew I was doing a pedestal.

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
Thanks for the feedback! So up to 70 pounds of meat and probably 40 pounds of head and cape for a wall pedestal🙂

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
To follow up on this, I made a trip in last week for 6 days. It was very hot in the afternoons, 75 feels like 95 up there. I spent 4 days in the area I had seen Rams before on past scouting trips and only found a group of Ewes, lambs, and a young Ram (bottom of pic).
I hiked to a different area about 10 miles away the last 2 days of the hunt and saw a buck and a bear. The sheep terrain looked promising and I plan to head back in this Wednesday to more effectively hunt it. This will give me a 5 day trip, but it takes about 2 days to get in. So far rain is forcasted for those first 2 days anyways :rolleyes:

ewes.jpg

OP
Rizzy

Rizzy

WKR
Nothing exciting to report in terms of Rams. I got into the basin I wanted to glass and found a nice billy goat on the edge of it. It rained or hailed every afternoon I was in there, but cleared up nicely. Its been a fun area to explore so far. I have time for one more trip end of next week if weather and access permits. I will be going back to where I started and originally found sheep🤞8F5131E0-AD45-4263-AE0C-D63BD51E71FF.jpeg130D3C6E-2619-406D-B712-D3052E0CE50B.jpeg

H280

FNG
Getting down to the wire with less than 2 weeks of sheep season left. Any luck?