Idaho Elk

Hey All,

I recently moved out to Idaho and got lucky enough to draw the controlled hunt for elk in Unit 37. This is a pretty cool unit that contains Mt. Borah, the tallest mountain in Idaho. This is a rifle elk hunt that begins October 1st so I'm expecting some rut activity still going on. I've stared at maps of this unit quite a bit and my initial reaction was this unit has a lot more roads than I'm used to. I'm hoping I can zero in on some areas where I can do some long day hunts and avoid the constant buzz of vehicles passing through this unit. The good thing is there are only 100 tags for this unit so I'm not expecting huge crowds but I'd still like to stay away from others whenever possible.

I just wanted to post this and see if any hunters had drawn this same tag or have spent time hunting this unit. Just curious to see what the heavily trafficked areas are and what locations in the unit hold elk. My game plan is to hunt the Eastern Side of the unit and try to hike in before first light and glass up the edges of timber. My girlfriend and I recently had our first child earlier this month so my scouting time will be quite limited. My plan is to hit it that first week in October and try to capitalize on some rutted up bulls. If anybody has any advice for a sleep deprived dad, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks everybody
Hi I was wondering if you could possibly point me in the right direction in unit 37. I just checked my email last night and somehow drew the 37 bull tag on second draw and am very limited on time to make it up to scout prior due to a new job. Any help I’d greatly appreciate. Thank you

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hi I was wondering if you could possibly point me in the right direction in unit 37. I just checked my email last night and somehow drew the 37 bull tag on second draw and am very limited on time to make it up to scout prior due to a new job. Any help I’d greatly appreciate. Thank you

Spoonbill

WKR
You can try and offer a farmer/rancher a wad of cash for a trespass fee. You may get told no but hey if you get access then you won’t have competition and you will have an easy packout.