Idaho unit 37A

Might be a long shot but what the heck.....
I plan on giving unit 37A a shot this year and have found a few areas of interest in the southern part of the unit just curious as to how dense the competition gets..... is anyone familiar with this unit and wanna chat about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You talking about the archery hunt for the unit? IFG shows hunting stats for the unit and it doesn't look like it gets hit too hard. I drew a controlled tag for Unit 37 last year and it's beautiful country. Heard the general archery season for the unit is pretty difficult since its such big country but I'd sign up for it just for the scenery.

Saw 2 nice bulls on a truck coming out of a neighboring unit last archery season, which was a tough season due to smoke, heat, etc.

Last edited:
OP
Wapitiwhacker208
You talking about the archery hunt for the unit? IFG shows hunting stats for the unit and it doesn't look like it gets hit too hard. I drew a controlled tag for Unit 37 last year and it's beautiful country. Heard the general archery season for the unit is pretty difficult since its such big country but I'd sign up for it just for the scenery.

As of right now I put in for the controlled rifle hunt, oct1-31 if I don’t get drawn for that I might bend and send one with an over the counter tag.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You have pack stock? That unit is tough on foot without help. Really cool country though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Wapitiwhacker208
You have pack stock? That unit is tough on foot without help. Really cool country though.

I don’t lol talked to a guy yesterday that
hunted it last year with llamas they rented out of Boise and they claimed it wasn’t too bad

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Small unit, lots of competition from llamas and horse camps. I think I counted six llama camps in there last year.

OP
Wapitiwhacker208
I spent 21 days in there last year. North, South, East and West was all crowded! The biggest issue is one guy with a tag brings seven people to help…. Complete shit show.

That’s a shame, I was really looking forward to trying something new I figured with 100 rifle tags that it wouldn’t be too crowded, sounds as if I can let that theory go.... I was thinking about southern but I’ve never been down that way! I plan on loading up the wife and kids and doing some exploring this summer. Do you know when the snow is no longer an issue? Where would you recommend elevation wise that the elk roam during sept?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I spent 21 days in there last year. North, South, East and West was all crowded! The biggest issue is one guy with a tag brings seven people to help…. Complete shit show.
Hell, didn't they bring their women too? Lol

OP
Wapitiwhacker208
That unit, especially the Southern part gets hit really hard by all the people who camp and stay in Sawmill. That is easily the most crowded part of the Little lost range including 51,37,37A

Is the northern part of the unit just as bad? According to google earth there is a few roads, or trails in the central part of the unit but I’m sure they are gated, but they have got to make the hike in a little easier than just picking a game trail right?

OP
Wapitiwhacker208
Keep in mind everyone who has the tag will be reading the same questions and responses. Sometimes using the PM will keep it more private. FWIW

That’s why I’m seeking information on the unit, in order to find someone that is informed about the area. Are you willing to share some knowledge about the area? If so I’ll pm you

Is the northern part of the unit just as bad? According to google earth there is a few roads, or trails in the central part of the unit but I’m sure they are gated, but they have got to make the hike in a little easier than just picking a game trail right?

Feel free to shoot me a pm.