Idaho unit 37A

idahojtg

FNG
Just FYI, the over the counter tags for that unit are sold out if you are a non-resident.

OP
Wapitiwhacker208
Haven’t hunted it much, but when people say steep they mean STEEP. Be in very good shape and be willing to climb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been doing some heavy e scouting and you ain’t a kidding steep lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB4

WKR
I spent the last 2 years in this unit during archery season. Last year was more crowded for sure but it seemed like everyone had horses or dirt bikes and went 3-6 miles back. Only a couple local guys and myself stayed close to access points. When I say most went back I saw one group of 6 head back on dirt bikes, a guide had 3 camps set up and uses horse to bring in different people every week(they over hunt specific drainages with little success). Then there were 4 other trucks with people who hiked in at least 5 miles from what they told me. Keep in mind this is Sept archery.

E Butler

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted 51,37,37A archery since 2008 and every year it becomes more of a sh—— show of people riding motorcycles and ATVs. The first five years it wasn’t bad but now since everyone is a back country interweb hunter it is kind of ridiculous. You can spend days glassing and locating a elk to plan a stalk and have it ruined by a knuckle head blowing on a cow call standing in the wide open.

A lot of useful information so far. I drew the 37A October rifle tag. I have spent the last two weekends up there and covered more than 20 miles on foot. I am planning on getting up there at least 4 more times before October. I have been camping up in that area since I was a little kid but haven't spent a ton of time up there during hunting season. I have a few specific questions about where I have been and what I've seen. If somebody wouldn't mind answering a few questions, please PM me. Hopefully Wapiti doesn't mind me borrowing his thread. Thanks!

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
I find some of your comments funny, i have hunted lemhi for 3 years now, we have always driven a truck to a camp setup spot, stayed at camp at night and hiked during the day, do atvs and such come by on occasion? sure, but in the years we have hunted we have seen 1 hunter and he was with a guide while out hiking,
we have had success harvesting and we have seen plenty of elk, including set ups and call ins every day. Our average days our 7-8 miles so we arent out hiking our butts off either, i feel like groups of people (internet honey hole searchers) pick up on a couple locations and flock to those areas, but there is plenty of areas where you could hunt and not deal with major hunting pressure, This being said... we never hunt the weekend only during the week.

RB3

FNG
I have hunted 51,37,37A archery since 2008 and every year it becomes more of a sh—— show of people riding motorcycles and ATVs. The first five years it wasn’t bad but now since everyone is a back country interweb hunter it is kind of ridiculous. You can spend days glassing and locating a elk to plan a stalk and have it ruined by a knuckle head blowing on a cow call standing in the wide open.
I have to say I totally agree with this comment. More internet and social media outlets are giving Idaho recognition. I lived 2 hours from those units and hunted them religiously for years. It is getting busier and busier. I am hoping these new rules help resolve some of the issue although Idaho's population growth within doesn't help. I've since moved north away from the influx of Utah/California migrants.

Fitch208

FNG
I drew 37a rifle this year as well just got back from a 4 day pack in scouting mission. steep country is an understatement did 28 miles and didn't locate any animal. any tips or advice would be awesome.

Jae7675

FNG
archery hunted 51 last year about 3 miles back a trailhead saw one other hunter in 8 days. Its rough country so if you go over 2 miles not many others will.

sneaky

"DADDY"
archery hunted 51 last year about 3 miles back a trailhead saw one other hunter in 8 days. Its rough country so if you go over 2 miles not many others will.
Lol. 2 miles is just a starting point for the instafamous crowd. Llamas, pack goats, horses... they're all in there. If you find an area to yourself there's probably a reason... no animals.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I find some of your comments funny, i have hunted lemhi for 3 years now, we have always driven a truck to a camp setup spot, stayed at camp at night and hiked during the day, do atvs and such come by on occasion? sure, but in the years we have hunted we have seen 1 hunter and he was with a guide while out hiking,
we have had success harvesting and we have seen plenty of elk, including set ups and call ins every day. Our average days our 7-8 miles so we arent out hiking our butts off either, i feel like groups of people (internet honey hole searchers) pick up on a couple locations and flock to those areas, but there is plenty of areas where you could hunt and not deal with major hunting pressure, This being said... we never hunt the weekend only during the week.
I agree with this 100%. I'm a resident and hunt those areas and find the same thing as above.