Idaho Unit 39 Camping

JoeyP

FNG
Does anybody know what the camping situation is like in this unit? Curious if there are places to pull off and camp all along the roads or if it's tough to find a spot.

It's been an odd year, with more people in the woods than I have ever seen. If deer season this year is anything like summer camping, I wouldn't be too picky on the spot that you choose. There are lots of camping spots in 39, but remember it is close to the largest populated valley in Idaho.

OP
JoeyP

JoeyP

FNG
It's been an odd year, with more people in the woods than I have ever seen. If deer season this year is anything like summer camping, I wouldn't be too picky on the spot that you choose. There are lots of camping spots in 39, but remember it is close to the largest populated valley in Idaho.

Good to know there's lots of spots. Not too picky, just want to make sure I can find something. I'm hoping to get away from Boise a bit, not sure if that'll help.

Sounds like there are record license sales this year. Still a ways out but weather is showing 70s-80s. Not what I'm used to in October.

Good to know there's lots of spots. Not too picky, just want to make sure I can find something. I'm hoping to get away from Boise a bit, not sure if that'll help.

Sounds like there are record license sales this year. Still a ways out but weather is showing 70s-80s. Not what I'm used to in October.
You never know what you’re going to get in October for weather. 70’s aren’t unusual. 39 has a huge elevation variety, so it may not be that warm higher up.

OP
JoeyP

JoeyP

FNG
You never know what you’re going to get in October for weather. 70’s aren’t unusual. 39 has a huge elevation variety, so it may not be that warm higher up.

True. I'm not sure how fast it drops off. I'm looking at some areas as high as 8000'. Maybe that's too high for mule deer, but though I'd start there and work down. Not sure where the snow line is (or if there is snow yet).

CGerch

FNG
I Hunted unit 39 last year for elk in early November! I saw more mule deer in the lower elevation plus I found the terrain easier to hike and glass ! But not saying there isn’t monsters in higher elevation this was just my experience! Only hunted there once For 12 days and scouted there for 4 other days

OP
JoeyP

JoeyP

FNG
I Hunted unit 39 last year for elk in early November! I saw more mule deer in the lower elevation plus I found the terrain easier to hike and glass ! But not saying there isn’t monsters in higher elevation this was just my experience! Only hunted there once For 12 days and scouted there for 4 other days

That's good to know! What was the weather like in November? Any snow yet to push them down? I'm looking at a quicker trip - scout 2 days and hunt 3.

CGerch

FNG
Sorry I meant to also say camping spots didn’t seem all that bad to find we also got there a day early
That's good to know! What was the weather like in November? Any snow yet to push them down? I'm looking at a quicker trip - scout 2 days and hunt 3.

There’s was snow in ther higher elevation,they got snow the week before we got there for the hunt It was lower teens and 40 ish for about two days then moved to 20s and hi 40s maybe fifty the rest of the trip . The very last day of the hunt up in the higher elevation I found a buck and a doe so I don’t think I could really say it was cold enough nor enough snow to push them all down to lower elevation also when I was there scouting in late August we found some in lower elevation as well ! Hope I’m not confusing you more on your decision but just trying to give all the information I got so you can make a more informed decision!

OP
JoeyP

JoeyP

FNG
Sorry I meant to also say camping spots didn’t seem all that bad to find we also got there a day early

Ok cool. I'll probably go up a day or two early as well. Seems like a lot of people come in at the last minute.

There’s was snow in ther higher elevation,they got snow the week before we got there for the hunt It was lower teens and 40 ish for about two days then moved to 20s and hi 40s maybe fifty the rest of the trip . The very last day of the hunt up in the higher elevation I found a buck and a doe so I don’t think I could really say it was cold enough nor enough snow to push them all down to lower elevation also when I was there scouting in late August we found some in lower elevation as well ! Hope I’m not confusing you more on your decision but just trying to give all the information I got so you can make a more informed decision!

Interesting. Sounds like elevation isn't always the best indicator. I've heard people say to aim for 5000-6000, but when the area goes up to 11,000 who knows.

Ain't that the truth!!

I was up on Sunday cutting firewood and some of the camps could qualify for a zip code. There were 3 camps that have been in the same spot since early this summer.

I believe it. 11.4k hunters in unit 39 for the 2019 deer season. You don't get premium camping spots waiting until the weekend before season.

There is a law you can only camp for so many days. Sounds like they passed the allowable limit. :D

Dioni A

Basque Assassin

There's no such thing as getting away in unit 39. You will run into people in every remote nook and cranny of the unit.

jmike

FNG
We hunted 39 in 2018... What a zoo. there were people every where . Blocking the roads and trails trying keep other folks out, Trucks ,bikes and quads ripping up and down all the roads. Not much peace and qiuet.

KurtR

WKR
Hunted there with my brother last year and only seen a few people while hunting. Also only seen a few deer. This was mid week and it was cold so that might have kept some people away. As for camping i have never seen so many people camped by the roads and i thought we have rough shitty roads here in sodak. Lucky peak road is the roughest gravel road in America and people drive like morons on it.

Hunted there with my brother last year and only seen a few people while hunting. Also only seen a few deer. This was mid week and it was cold so that might have kept some people away. As for camping i have never seen so many people camped by the roads and i thought we have rough shitty roads here in sodak. Lucky peak road is the roughest gravel road in America and people drive like morons on it.
That is a miserable SOB!! All the way to Atlanta!

CGerch

FNG
Ok cool. I'll probably go up a day or two early as well. Seems like a lot of people come in at the last minute.

Interesting. Sounds like elevation isn't always the best indicator. I've heard people say to aim for 5000-6000, but when the area goes up to 11,000 who knows.
I would have say I agree to the 5k to 6k that’s where I would start !

exppi

FNG
I was up there today. Lots of people around camping and some cutting firewood. It was a bit more of a zoo for a Tuesday than I was anticipating. Didn't see any deer but almost hit 2 elk on Hwy 21 heading home at lunch.

OP
JoeyP

JoeyP

FNG
I was up there today. Lots of people around camping and some cutting firewood. It was a bit more of a zoo for a Tuesday than I was anticipating. Didn't see any deer but almost hit 2 elk on Hwy 21 heading home at lunch.

That's crazy people are out there already. You think they're prepping for rifle season or are they archery / muzzleloader? I guess it could be people who are just camping - not hunting.

exppi

FNG
Most appeared to be dirt biking or trail riding in UTV's. I was muzzleloader hunting and didn't run into anyone else that seemed to be hunting. They may have been scouting too, not sure. I was trying to find walk in only trails.