Idaho unit 39 early tag

Looking for some info on the August controlled mule deer hunt. I drew the tag and was just wondering where the crowds will be? I'm well away its a very large unit and only 200 tag holders but after some searching it seems like most guys get sucked to the same spot. Also trying to avoid and outfitters if possible. Im in no way asking for spots or honey holes just places to avoid. Thanks for any responses and good luck this season

Do you have experience in the unit? People could be anywhere there. Takes lots of time invested to be successful in such a crowded unit. most people do day trips and are weekend warriors too, it’s not too discouraging

200 guys spread over 39 is an extremely small concentration. You will be contending with campers, hikers and the general riff raff that are up there though. We had pretty decent late spring rain so the feed turned on when it needed to. With that being said, it’s still hot as hell so those deer are going to be close to water and cooler temps. If you are going to use a base camp, don’t leave anything of value in it when your out. Be ready to adjust your area if a fire sparks up. You never know when or where they will hit.They also make hunting and spotting tough when that smoke settles in.

OP
Nickjohn44
200 guys spread over 39 is an extremely small concentration. You will be contending with campers, hikers and the general riff raff that are up there though. We had pretty decent late spring rain so the feed turned on when it needed to. With that being said, it’s still hot as hell so those deer are going to be close to water and cooler temps. If you are going to use a base camp, don’t leave anything of value in it when your out. Be ready to adjust your area if a fire sparks up. You never know when or where they will hit.They also make hunting and spotting tough when that smoke settles in.

OP
Nickjohn44
200 is really nothing compared to when I've hunted it in October. Been looking at going into the wilderness area but also keep getting drawn to the northfork area. Just looks pretty accessible which has me worried.

Last edited:

Rotnguns

FNG
Besides the 200 that drew early tags for unit 39, you'll also be contending with muzzleloader hunters in the antlerless deer hunt from sept 8 to sept 30.

littlebigtine

Lil-Rokslider
if its like idaho general season then no more then 20% of the tagholders are willing to hike to see a deer. i would just maximize time out there and you will enjoy yourself surely.

KLWild

FNG
Looking for some info on the August controlled mule deer hunt. I drew the tag and was just wondering where the crowds will be? I'm well away its a very large unit and only 200 tag holders but after some searching it seems like most guys get sucked to the same spot. Also trying to avoid and outfitters if possible. Im in no way asking for spots or honey holes just places to avoid. Thanks for any responses and good luck this season
I’ve hunted early 39 a bunch. There isn’t really anywhere that people get too concentrated given the amount of tags, and I’ve only come across one guy sitting in a hotspring with a muzzy waiting for a doe to walk by😂 DM me on Instagram if you have any specific questions, I might be able to help you out a little.

KLWild

FNG
I’ve hunted early 39 a bunch. There isn’t really anywhere that people get too concentrated given the amount of tags, and I’ve only come across one guy sitting in a hotspring with a muzzy waiting for a doe to walk by😂 DM me on Instagram if you have any specific questions, I might be able to help you out a little.
@a_wild_idahoan

Reactions: PRC
Not sure how you did or what quality of animal you were looking for but depending on the dates you would only run into archery elk and deer hunters. There are a lot of weekend adventure folks out recreating. I have put in for this tag multiple times and never drawn. Roads in idaho will always be loaded with people. It could be a great backpack hunt. I recommend and early scouting trip if u can afford it.