Idaho unit 39 Early velvet bucks

K_pem

WKR
Hey fellas,

ID finally came through and I drew something, honestly wasn’t expecting to draw but that’s the beauty of it; unit 39 early season any weapon tag 8/15-9/30 I believe. To say I’m excited would be an understatement. I’ve never had the opportunity to hunt early season mule deer and certainly not in an area of this caliber so there will be a lot of firsts.

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has drawn this tag in the past or is even just real familiar with the area, that would be willing to shed some light on road/trail access (I hear there’s a lot of dirt bike trails) both motorized and non, deer habits in this unit, how high to expect water/greenery, types of cover they’re using (I’ve heard there is a lot of timber as well) and most importantly where to stay away from to a solid people like hikers and recreational folks.

Just wanting to get some general ideas specific to this unit. I don’t want anyone coming unglued that I’m asking about XYZ grandpas hunting spot, lazy yada yada (Though I wouldn’t turn down some jump off points if you feel so gracious haha).

Ive already started E scouting out some potential areas but I’m just pegging everything at this point before narrowing it down. I plan on making a trip down at the end of July once I have my “ABC” plan down pat to scout that out but that’ll probably be it other than a day or two before season opener, as it’s going to be about an 8 hour drive for us from North Idaho into the hunt area, with only a month and a half time to go.

If you’re still with me thanks for reading and if you have any input or advice for me thanks in advance.
Cheers!
-Kevin

I drew it 25 or so years ago
It was the second year it was available
Didn't see many deer even back then
Can't imagine it has gotten any better
Got to watch some really amazing forest fire action from a few miles away
Great time to shoot a big bear in the berries!

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t expect to see a lot of deer but don’t get discouraged either. Big tough country but has potential for a good buck.

Wassid82

WKR
We drew it 2 years ago. Access to easy to come by. The challenge is hot weather. There are some really good deer but during one 5 day hunting trip we only saw 5 small bucks and does.….. but saw 6 black bears. Hot weather makes those deer nocturnal. It was especially fun in September then the elk rut started. I would stay as high as possible and strongly consider backing up to the sawtooth Mountains 🏔

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
Last year we spent lots of time above 8,000 feet, but fell victim to smoke which reduced glassing capability. We wanted the hunt to be like you see online, early season high elevation deer in the large basins, but ultimately the deer just weren’t there.

freebird

WKR
I've seen some big bucks in unit 39. The general season is a zoo. But will mirror what most have said, hunt high. Shoot me a PM if you need any info on certain areas, I know that unit pretty good.

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Have hunted unit 39 for what seems like an eternity, both with rifle and camera. Have drawn that early tag twice in the last 20 years... took one decent 170 class buck in velvet, but have taken several bigger in October. PM me and I’ll let you know if your on the right track.

I've seen some big bucks in unit 39. The general season is a zoo. But will mirror what most have said, hunt high. Shoot me a PM if you need any info on certain areas, I know that unit pretty good.
Will you send me a PM. Have that tag, been scouting a lot but nothing big. New to this form and can’t send Pm yet.

Behall

FNG
Similar results as above. Saw a decent one early in the game before the fire, however failed to find him again one it started rolling through the area. Good luck!

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the high part of the unit last weekend and it was hot, dry, and smoky. Like others have said, aim high. Also pray for clear skies. You can see for miles up there, but not with thick smoke.

Twebster

FNG
I’ve got this tag as well been out a few times and seen one immature 3 point and lots of elk. Couple good bulls in the high spots. PM me maybe we can swap some info