Idaho Unit 39 Elk

My buddy and I both got a Unit 39 B tag for 2022. This will be our first time in Idaho to hunt elk. Not looking for information on areas to hunt, looking for areas to avoid.

Rob5589

WKR
Welcome to RS! 39 is arguably the most densely hunted zone due to the proximity to Boise.

WRO

WKR
If you've got bikes, head in around Atlanta but it's going to be a busy place.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

WKR
The good news is that no more than 323 other non-residents will be competing with you. The bad news is that you will be hunting at the back door of Idaho’s largest population center.

In 2015, I tagged along with my brother and a friend on their elk hunt. It was our first time hunting the unit. We didn’t see any big bulls but both of them got bulls in the first few days.

OP
I
My hunting partner and I are not new to hunting, we will only be on roads/trails that we can be on from the maps. All we do is park and try to get away from others. In our experiences most people hunt within a mile or so of their vehicles. We will be hiking in and away from people.

My hunting partner and I are not new to hunting, we will only be on roads/trails that we can be on from the maps. All we do is park and try to get away from others. In our experiences most people hunt within a mile or so of their vehicles. We will be hiking in and away from people.

Lots of competition in the unit. People park and hike in multiple miles, cross rivers and hike up cliffs, drive utvs and motorcycles like the devil himself is chasing them, people go in on horses, people spike camp, people come in during the summer and pack in and build illegal structures for hunting season etc. People everywhere. Plus the mule deer season goes all the way to the elk season so lots of pressure in the woods before the season even starts.

OP
I
We will make the best of the situation, we have a wall tent for our camp, we also have backpacking tents and will more than likely hike in from our camp and stay if we find elk. Figured it will be a learning curve to try to find a productive area, but we are not afraid to put in the work.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
don't just follow a trail because you see tire tracks....follow the motor vehicle maps please.
Wish more folks took your advise, for every road closed sign there are tracks around the gate

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
We tried that, 39 is full of folks who have a different philosophy, they take their vehicles with them off-road. If you see a trail at all, vehicles will be on it, closed or not. Try to find a section with no trails.

muleymemories

Lil-Rokslider
A guy can get lucky finding elk close to a road, but more than likely you will have to work harder than you ever have trying to find a bull to hunt. The deer hunting pressure pushes the bulls into very remote areas of the unit. Bike/horses are the best option to access more "elk" country, but you will still have to burn boot leather! Be in excellent shape, its not for the faint of heart. Good luck and have fun!

KurtR

WKR
hunted it two years ago with my brother and his friend that live there. seen alot of people driving up to where we went once we got to trail head one other car and seen one other hunter the week we were in. I killed an elk the first day and then we seen a few others they didnt want to shoot. I didnt go this year but my brother said way more people and they didnt kill an elk. I know it contains the worst road in America which is lucky peak road.

Bluto

WKR
I know the feeling, hunting it two years ago. It is definitely crowded, but there were dead elk in camps. Someone has to kill them, so no point in not trying. If one gets their hand on an elk tag these days, consider it a trophy in and of itself and go hunt. However, don’t discount what folks are saying. The concept of “access” does not apply in Idaho. If there is a walking trail anywhere, and I mean anywhere, there will be a dirt bike on it, making a land speed record attempt. Probably with a straight header and no exhaust. You’ll get scowls everywhere you stop for gas because the crowds are of course out of state hunters which makes it your fault. (Unknown how 98% of the rigs in the unit got Idaho plates, but that’s what I keep hearing.) In the end, it doesn’t matter. Idaho belongs to Idahoans (not being snarky here - I believe that) and they can run it how they like. I can be a polite guest regardless of where I go.

Of the people I did actually talk to, all were nice. Doesn’t mean they weren’t ripping around closed roads on UTV’s And bikes. Like, camps with goodseneck horse trailers full of dirt bikes. It’s actually kinda impressive.

We camped close to Atlanta, which was nice once it became painfully obvious it wasn’t going to work out after about 5 days of glassing people with rifles. There’s a place to get a burger and a beer.

If nothing else, climb up somewhere and look around. It’s beautiful country. Might even see an elk! Hunt safe and enjoy it, and be nice even if people are doing the wrong thing.