Idaho Unit 43 ... Seeking Logistics not Game info

philcox

WKR
Will be hunting the Oct time frame in this unit. Not looking for any "deer" info, but more logistics, having never hunted this unit or this time of year. So my main questions are:
  • I know there are lakes and rivers, but is there typically water at the top of any of those hills (seeps/creeks/etc)? If we spiked out, is there good water, or do you typically have to carry what you need?
  • Question on boots for the October time. You wearing insulated? Waterproof? I currently have a set of Danner Pronghorn that I have waxed up pretty good, and use for Chukar hunting, but have not used them for trapping trough a lot of snow.
  • I have been told that the temps are TYPICALLY Mid 50's to low 30's, and not super wet, sound about right?
I know everything is variable, but trying to get a general sense of the area. I am doing my OnX, GoHunt, Google Earth research for these Q's also, but figured it was worth a shot here too.

Any logistical info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
Oct is a long month. You looking at early in the season or towards the end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Going to be there for the opener, then if not filled the tag, will be heading back to close it out. Mostly looking for the opener at this point.

brn2hnt

WKR
Gotcha.

Water is fickle there. There are plenty of creeks, but sometimes they go underground for long stretches too.

I wear uninsulated boots all the time, I’d imagine you’d be more than fine for the opener, but last years opener had temps in the teens, so take that for what it’s worth.

Oct is probably the most unpredictable weather month. I’ve seen 70’s days before Halloween and teens on the 10th.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
Gotcha.

Water is fickle there. There are plenty of creeks, but sometimes they go underground for long stretches too.

I wear uninsulated boots all the time, I’d imagine you’d be more than fine for the opener, but last years opener had temps in the teens, so take that for what it’s worth.

Oct is probably the most unpredictable weather month. I’ve seen 70’s days before Halloween and teens on the 10th.

Thx for the info. Will have to be mindful of the water situation.

Troutnut

FNG
I hunted near but not quite in 43 last year. There was water fairly high up in the creeks, but not on the hilltops where I was. The temperature dropped below zero (Fahrenheit) on the night before the opener, but I guess that's unusual. I was wearing waterproof, uninsulated boots (Lowa Tibet GTX) and was fine with just some warm Darn Toughs. I was glad I stopped along the way and bought some chemical heat packs. I think you're safe to bet on generally dry conditions (though not a guarantee), but you should at least bring stuff in your vehicle to be prepared for any temperature scenario from below-zero clothing to warm-weather meat care stuff, just in case.

brn2hnt

WKR
I hunted near but not quite in 43 last year. There was water fairly high up in the creeks, but not on the hilltops where I was. The temperature dropped below zero (Fahrenheit) on the night before the opener, but I guess that's unusual. I was wearing waterproof, uninsulated boots (Lowa Tibet GTX) and was fine with just some warm Darn Toughs. I was glad I stopped along the way and bought some chemical heat packs. I think you're safe to bet on generally dry conditions (though not a guarantee), but you should at least bring stuff in your vehicle to be prepared for any temperature scenario from below-zero clothing to warm-weather meat care stuff, just in case.

Solid advice for pretty much everywhere in Idaho for the month of Oct.

Just no telling what the weather will be. Best to just wait until you’re leaving and then check, and still pack for more

kzkammo

FNG
Last year on the we had -10 and 10 inches of snow where we hunted. Also a pretty good chunk of the unit is on fire right now. I would be prepared for anything.

Wassid82

WKR
Going to be there for the opener, then if not filled the tag, will be heading back to close it out. Mostly looking for the opener at this point.
I've hunted there for several years and extensively in 2019. Expect any kind of weather but most often drier and mid30-60's. chucker boots will work great. We saw over 200 deer in one of our 3 day excursions. Unfortunately we didn't find any big bucks. The top of the mountains we hunted were waterless. so we were dropping down several Hundred feet of elevation to fetch water. Good luck we had a fun hunt.