Idaho Unit 48/49

Sock

FNG
Planning my first hunt in Idaho around mid October to coincide with pheasant and chukar season around Sun Valley.

I plan on back packing in 4 miles off a hiking trail and then set up a camp about a mile off the trail at the base of a drainage for mule deer. The few folks I've talked to in the area have said that if I actually go with that plan there is a very high likely hood of taking a mature buck.

Any body here hunt those units or have some insight for water or a good idea of where to make a call with out spooking the deer in that area?

GregB

WKR
If you are hiking up a drainage there is probably a water source running down it. If you want to make a phone call go into town you probably won't have service very far outside of it, get an InReach to stay in touch. Don't think you'll find pheasant around Sun Valley. The first time hunting chukar is for fun, after that it's about revenge.

OP
S

Sock

FNG
The plan right now is to mule deer hunt between October 15th and October 20th. Then come out the Wilderness if I have not been successful with mule deer and find somewhere to chukar hunt in the Magic Valley, and then drive south to the more agricultural areas to try and find pheasant.

jetsled

FNG
Best of luck but, I would put the odds of a mature buck in that country, for a first timer....in the 5-10% range. No shit. Truthfully. Have fun, it's a great area, real scenic.

FLAK

WKR
I've hunted it. It's rough. But cool country.
I passed up a not too bad muley within 2 hrs.
of setting foot in (48). Did not see another in the
next 4 days.

OP
S

Sock

FNG
I am really a Backpacker at heart, so it is a good way to get out and explore unknown trails. if I am lucky enough to harvest one, I will be a happy camper.

Not to say that I would be a little disappointed with eating tag soup though.

What would you say the average distance shot is in that country?

PM me if you want to chat about Idaho backpack hunting around the SV, Challis, Stanley, Mackay area.

You’ll work your tail off to climb those mountains and there aren’t a ton of older age class deer but if you work hard you might luck into one.

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
48 is a cool unit and very scenic. There is plenty of water in most drainages. As hard as I hunted it last year I saw surprisingly few deer. I’m certain mature bucks are there but I was disappointed

OP
S

Sock

FNG
Would it be better to shift my trip to the beginning of the season? I am pretty flexible with work and may actually be in between jobs at that point.

The biggest buck I have taken has been a 3x3 blacktail. The elusive 4x4 and 4x5 are hidden around here but most bucks out in Idaho will have a much larger body than what I am used to.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Bucks of any size are scarce this year. Not saying they aren't there, but they are going to be tough. Chukars on the other hand, are everywhere around the rivers right now. I could limit out in my yard if I wanted to. Won't be long before they'll be heading up high though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Fyi from these units hunted 20 days in total during archery and a few during rifle. Very few mature deer left in this unit. Winter was gnarly last year and the population was already hammered. May want to shoot for unit 50 or south east Idaho. If you look at the posts earlier this year there was a lot of discusssion surrounding this.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sock

FNG
Thank you all for your replies, looks like I'm shifting my hunt towards unit 50.

It appears the mountains will be just as spectacular.