Idaho Unit 48 Archery Elk Help

kurt1988

FNG
Hello All,

My son and I will be heading to Unit 48 in Idaho for his first DIY Archery Elk hunt this September. I've been researching the area quite a bit but I need a little help tracking down a good starting point for the hunt. We are hoping to backpack in 5-6 miles and spike camp for 7 days. Any recommendations or advice as to a decent area or trailhead with a few animals to chase would be greatly appreciated. Not looking to steal anyones hotspots, just need a little direction. Id feel horrible if we trekked 5-6 miles back in to an area that perennially holds no elk. Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer.

Thank you all, Kurt

T43

Lil-Rokslider
Two pieces of advice. Google Beaver Creek fire and pick up a deer tag.

Pretty much any drainage that has water and timber will have elk in it. The only way your going to learn it is by just dedicating yourself to learning an area for a few season. Going into that country with just internet scouting is not going to be a walk in the park. Another thing is if you're going 5-6 miles in and hunting farther back from there, you're going to have a heck of a long pack out if you get an elk down. If you go 6 miles back in and get something down 3 miles past that it'll probably take you and you're son two trips to get an elk out. That will make it 18 miles of hiking with meat on your back and another 15 miles of hiking empty till you're done and can get back to camp to either go back hunting or pack it up. In great shape you might average 4 mph in that on foot with a daypack, loaded with meat I'd guess somewhere around 3 mph on the fast side. That'd make you have a 3 hour hike out with meat each trip and over 2 hours to get back to the elk for the second load. If you're able to do it non stop you'd probably be alright but if you take a couple hours to rest at camp or the truck you could end up losing some meat. I'm just bringing this up so you understand the logistics of what you're looking at by going in that far and you also need to understand that you're day will begin at around 7,000 feet above sea level. Going in that far, in that country, and coming from a much lower elevation, you're asking for a hell of a lot of misery.

mntnguide

WKR
5-6 miles in the country of 48...is a lot more than you probably will actually end up going once you get there.. Like said above, Google earth does no justice for the mountains of the Sawtooths. There are plenty of elk in 48, but dont overthink that you need to hike in further than everyone else to get to them. Be reasonable to what the two of you can handle, and if its hot out, you cant be killing an elk 6+ miles into the hills and expect the meat to not spoil before you get it all out. The meat is more important than the head, and I think a lot of Non-res hunters in all states forget that aspect...That is just a general observation, nothing against you and your son.

IdahoElk

WKR
Geez man, you're a local. You've got to be more helpful than just agreeing with the guy from Washington.

I'm already helping out no less than four other groups of hunters this year that I've never met,I can only do so much and still have time to hunt myself,I did offer help to the OP but he didn't take me up on it.
How many hunters are you placing in known Elk spots this year?

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Unit 48 is not for the faint of heart be afraid very afraid just kidding but the Sawtooth's are pretty gnarly. Also bring some ball powder cause it gets hot and chaffy when your hiking in the heat or you can use your windage chalk if you get hard up depending on the heat. Idaho Elk said it right when your local you do not really want a bunch of people out of state or county for that matter to bring more people from out of state to hunt and then next thing you know every dirt road has DIY hunters buzzing around.. Theleo hit the nail on the head with everything he said as far as drainage with water, to the packing the meat, to the meat spoiling, to not necessarily having to go 6 miles. Now if you do get an elk and need a guy to process it PM and I will give you a stellar butcher's number who does it for the 225 entire animal he also gives you a place to hang it and he makes sausage to. Good luck!

sneaky

"DADDY"
One thing I've learned since moving out west and hunting both Utah and Idaho is if you hike 6 miles in you are gonna walk by a ton of elk. It's a romantic idea, but kill elk where the elk live. That's not always that far in.

Last edited:
I'm already helping out no less than four other groups of hunters this year that I've never met,I can only do so much and still have time to hunt myself,I did offer help to the OP but he didn't take me up on it.
How many hunters are you placing in known Elk spots this year?
Was just teasing, but to answer the question, I believe I've given good information to three guys so far. Same concept as the OP, haven't been in the southern Sawtooth's and needing help in where to look in the area.

IdahoElk

WKR
Was just teasing, but to answer the question, I believe I've given good information to three guys so far. Same concept as the OP, haven't been in the southern Sawtooth's and needing help in where to look in the area.

Sorry,had a rough day at work yesterday,PM me and I can give you some ideas on the Sawtooths(stanley area)

Hey Kurt - I emailed you yesterday with some information. Let me know if you have any more questions. I can't wait to get back up there on the 6th.

Idahohillboy - Mind giving me the number for that butcher/place to hang? I've been looking all over and Scarrows in Jerome is the closest I've come to.

Thanks for reaching out. Do you know what he charges just to hang in his cooler if I want to butcher it myself or have my butcher in Reno do it?

yeah PM you back with his info he is good just tell him to cut your steaks on the thicker side he is in Bellevue.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
He might let you ask him he is a nice guy he has people hit him up all the time. When I say cooler he has a meat locker with hooks which he keeps at like 60 degrees he makes really good sausage my only gripe is he needs to cut the steaks thicker than 1 inch. When I lived up there I used to process my own. However it just does work. Asides from that I would rather go back out hunting so I have become lazy in recent years.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

Gotcha. I would need to hang it in a cooler that's a lot cooler than 60. I could probably keep it cooler than that over a creek. Have you heard anything about Scarrow's meats down in Jerome?

He might let you ask him he is a nice guy he has people hit him up all the time. When I say cooler he has a meat locker with hooks which he keeps at like 60 degrees he makes really good sausage my only gripe is he needs to cut the steaks thicker than 1 inch. When I lived up there I used to process my own. However it just does work. Asides from that I would rather go back out hunting so I have become lazy in recent years.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
No I have not heard of scarrows everyone uses rudolpho locally he will tell you what he keeps it at. I am not sure how cool it is honestly. I am never a fan of sticking meat in water it makes it tougher in my opinion.

Thanks. I will have to give him a call.

No I have not heard of scarrows everyone uses rudolpho locally he will tell you what he keeps it at. I am not sure how cool it is honestly. I am never a fan of sticking meat in water it makes it tougher in my opinion.