Idaho unit 55 advice

w_div

FNG
It’s been awhile since I’ve been down to unit 55 (25+ years). I’m trying to schedule some time off for scouting and schedule time off for the hunt. I’m thinking of taking the first two weeks. However my wife can go with me if I schedule later, first part of September. My concern is weather and bucks dropping down into private if I wait to long. Any advice from those familiar with the area?

Pwells10

WKR
I have a buddy that lives in the area. From what he says majority of big bucks hang on private 75% of the time in September. Says they start venturing out in October and November they’re everywhere.

Obviously there are outliers and not always true. Hope that helps a bit.

Calbuck

WKR
I hunted 55 last year and ate my tag. Saw one buck I wanted to shoot but couldn't get the right deal. We saw lots of deer and lots of small bucks. We have many years of experience in the unit.

OP
W

w_div

FNG
Thanks for the replies. Well I’ll give it the college try anyway, and the experience is always good.

I plan on scouting before the hunt as well so hopefully I’ll have a better idea on where to hunt the morning of August 15th.

nphunter

WKR
Thanks for the replies. Well I’ll give it the college try anyway, and the experience is always good.

I plan on scouting before the hunt as well so hopefully I’ll have a better idea on where to hunt the morning of August 15th.

P.M. Sent

greg_h

FNG
I’m in the unit now trying to locate elk. I’ve seen a ton of deer, mostly does and small bucks. One really wide 4 point but nothing exceptional. Elk are quiet and not out in the open apparently. I’m trying to stay positive to avoid the dreaded skunk. I came up on a nice Moose two days ago. Gonna give it five more days or so.

OP
W

w_div

FNG
I’m in the unit now trying to locate elk. I’ve seen a ton of deer, mostly does and small bucks. One really wide 4 point but nothing exceptional. Elk are quiet and not out in the open apparently. I’m trying to stay positive to avoid the dreaded skunk. I came up on a nice Moose two days ago. Gonna give it five more days or so.
I don’t live in the area, but for the most part I don’t think there are very many elk, if any really in that unit. Maybe they migrate in when the weather changes? I covered a lot of country and hiked all over this past month and a half, didn’t see any elk. Best of luck!

ahansel

FNG
I have the late archery deer tag for Unit 55. Coming up from Utah in late Nov / early Dec. I'll be solo. If anyone else has the tag happy to join up, help spot stalks, etec.