Idaho Unit 6 OTC

Old Blue

FNG
Hi All,

Brother in law and myself are planning our first DIY OTC HUNT in Idaho Unit 6 (next October/rifle) just upstream of Calder, ID. We will have a Mule Deer and Elk tag. I have read that this area is mostly white tail and lots of road hunters. We have never been to Idaho and plan on e-scouting. We are good to walk miles into the back country but was hoping for some tips from hunters who have done this and don’t mind sharing their knowledge. We have a buddy that lives near Trout Creek that we can base out of.

thanks!

Hi All,

Brother in law and myself are planning our first DIY OTC HUNT in Idaho Unit 6 (next October/rifle) just upstream of Calder, ID. We will have a Mule Deer and Elk tag. I have read that this area is mostly white tail and lots of road hunters. We have never been to Idaho and plan on e-scouting. We are good to walk miles into the back country but was hoping for some tips from hunters who have done this and don’t mind sharing their knowledge. We have a buddy that lives near Trout Creek that we can base out of.

thanks!
Lot of straight up and down ground. Thick stuff where it isn't logged.

live4him

FNG
Lived in that area a few years back. Success is low, especially for quality mule deer. For rifle, you’ll either be still hunting or glsssing clear cuts, which will mean easy access for everyone. I go back every year for archery elk, knowing success rate is low but hunting with friends is just as important to me. Every trip is what you make of it. But it’ll be thick if your brush busting Or pressure if you’re not

280Ackley

WKR
Never seen as many people in unit 6 like I did this year. It was a zoo and included people yelling at me in the timber for still hunting!

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
In unit 6 you are gonna have to get way off the road if you wanna be alone. A ton of people hunt up there. But here in Idaho you either get a regular deer tag, which can be used for either white tails or muleys, or you get a whitetail tag. So you could still shoot a whitetail, which there is quite a few of in that area. You should definitely get a wolf tag too.

OP
Old Blue

Old Blue

FNG
Well Fellas, this is why I joined Rokslide. Y’all probably saved me tons of time and money. Thank you for all the responses on my post. After doing some more research I noticed a common theme: pick another location. So with that being said I still need a place to go for our backcountry hunt. Looking forward to kicking the hunting OCD into full gear and finding a place for us to go. Any advice is appreciated. We are not looking for trophies as much as the experience of humping the back country and getting the experience to pass in to our sons.

87TT

WKR
My advice, make up your mind quick as tags go on sale Dec 1st and caps are in. Expect a lot will sell out quicker than others.

14idaho

FNG
I have friends in Calder,Avery and St. Marie's and they kill nice bulls every year in unit 6. It is true that the wolves have really hurt the elk. If you get away from the crowds you'll find elk. Steep brushy county.

crossone

FNG
Whole damned state is overcrowded now. Hopefully the new rule limiting nonresidents to smaller areas will help. Does anyone know if those rules are in effect this year or do we have to wait for next?

I'm not anti-nonresident. I'm just anti so damned many nonresidents. Of course, with the population of Idaho growing by 100k/year, there are too many residents.

The problem with Unit 6 is Coeur d’Alene. Half of California lives there now and most of them hunt in Units 4 and 6. They can practically hold hands while traversing the country between the Coeur d’Alene and St. Joe Rivers.