Idaho Unit 6 OTC

Whole damned state is overcrowded now. Hopefully the new rule limiting nonresidents to smaller areas will help. Does anyone know if those rules are in effect this year or do we have to wait for next?

I'm not anti-nonresident. I'm just anti so damned many nonresidents. Of course, with the population of Idaho growing by 100k/year, there are too many residents.

The problem with Unit 6 is Coeur d’Alene. Half of California lives there now and most of them hunt in Units 4 and 6. They can practically hold hands while traversing the country between the Coeur d’Alene and St. Joe Rivers.
As a SE Idaho resident I went up north this last November to help my little sister killer her first deer. It was extremely crowded in unit 6 but they were all residents. But, down in central Idaho where I elk hunt during archery I would say it’s 50/50 with the camp grounds crowded with non residents. However in the back country I don’t run in to hardly anyone still. As for the limiting of non residents, they limited non residents in every deer unit to a certain percentage of the tags and the same with elk zones. Deer tags already sold out and last I checked most elk tags are gone.

crossone

FNG
Thanks Timberline. I live in SE Idaho too but I'm from the north and shall return unless the fleeing Californians drive me to Alaska. Yeah, I'm sure they were mostly residents that you saw but their license plates didn't say "resident of Idaho for 1.5 years".

I know, like the European Commonweath, people have the right to move between states but they don't have to adopt that States values as part of their residency.

Trust me, 15 years ago, we knew most of the people we encountered. Now, almost no-one, and they're sure they belong. There weren't many of those in SE Idaho for many years because the winters were too long and the wages were too cheap. Things are changing in SE Idaho too.

New residents. Not non-residents.

No diffence except what they add to the state's coffers.

I'm happy to read you went up to help your sister get a deer.

Many people in SE Idaho don't know that Idaho extends beyond Ashton or Salmon.

Cross

Thanks Timberline. I live in SE Idaho too but I'm from the north and shall return unless the fleeing Californians drive me to Alaska. Yeah, I'm sure they were mostly residents that you saw but their license plates didn't say "resident of Idaho for 1.5 years".

I know, like the European Commonweath, people have the right to move between states but they don't have to adopt that States values as part of their residency.

Trust me, 15 years ago, we knew most of the people we encountered. Now, almost no-one, and they're sure they belong. There weren't many of those in SE Idaho for many years because the winters were too long and the wages were too cheap. Things are changing in SE Idaho too.

New residents. Not non-residents.

No diffence except what they add to the state's coffers.

I'm happy to read you went up to help your sister get a deer.

Many people in SE Idaho don't know that Idaho extends beyond Ashton or Salmon.

Cross
We definitely live in a great state with a lot to offer. I love our area but definitely am not ashamed to take advantage of what the north has to offer.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Whole damned state is overcrowded now. Hopefully the new rule limiting nonresidents to smaller areas will help. Does anyone know if those rules are in effect this year or do we have to wait for next?

I'm not anti-nonresident. I'm just anti so damned many nonresidents. Of course, with the population of Idaho growing by 100k/year, there are too many residents.

The problem with Unit 6 is Coeur d’Alene. Half of California lives there now and most of them hunt in Units 4 and 6. They can practically hold hands while traversing the country between the Coeur d’Alene and St. Joe Rivers.
Well, NR tags have been capped at the same amount for over a decade. It isn't a huge boom of NR hunters, just that they all congregated in about a half dozen units. Residents are the elephant in the room that IDFG is ignoring, but even that can't last forever.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well, NR tags have been capped at the same amount for over a decade. It isn't a huge boom of NR hunters, just that they all congregated in about a half dozen units. Residents are the elephant in the room that IDFG is ignoring, but even that can't last forever.

However, how many NR tags were sold to residents until just recent years, which overall was reducing NR numbers during season... I think last year was the first year I can recall NR tags being sold out before we could buy them for ourselves.

I'm anti NR though and quite bitter, so I can't say much. If I had my way, we wouldn't have NR tags. Hopefully the new rules and layout make it somewhat better, price increase didn't seem to make a damned bit of difference.

That being said, if I was hunting unit 6, I'd be hiking really far on s daily basis, or finding a good crossing point and let hunters push them towards me while staying put. Pressure is crazy...

sneaky

"DADDY"
However, how many NR tags were sold to residents until just recent years, which overall was reducing NR numbers during season... I think last year was the first year I can recall NR tags being sold out before we could buy them for ourselves.

I'm anti NR though and quite bitter, so I can't say much. If I had my way, we wouldn't have NR tags. Hopefully the new rules and layout make it somewhat better, price increase didn't seem to make a damned bit of difference.

That being said, if I was hunting unit 6, I'd be hiking really far on s daily basis, or finding a good crossing point and let hunters push them towards me while staying put. Pressure is crazy...
Last time I ever found a number on NR tags being bought by residents it was around 2500 or so.

You can be as bitter as you want, but let's face reality. Residents here bitch and whine if their license goes up $3. You think they'd raise hell if our resident licenses went up to compensate for the 60% of revenue that NR tags bring? I guarantee you that they would.

NR are a convenient whipping post for residents in every state. We're all NR in 49 other states and I enjoy hunting new areas in different states. Eliminate NR here and they'll reciprocate, and that's just pure BS all the way around.

Last time I ever found a number on NR tags being bought by residents it was around 2500 or so.

You can be as bitter as you want, but let's face reality. Residents here bitch and whine if their license goes up $3. You think they'd raise hell if our resident licenses went up to compensate for the 60% of revenue that NR tags bring? I guarantee you that they would.

NR are a convenient whipping post for residents in every state. We're all NR in 49 other states and I enjoy hunting new areas in different states. Eliminate NR here and they'll reciprocate, and that's just pure BS all the way around.

Yeah, most of them bitch and whine about every little increase, then bitch and whine about NR being here lol...

I don't want to derail this thread with my personal beliefs though.

On topic, I'm not sure if the new rules force you (the op) to unit 6, but if not, I'd go to another area. If it's 6 only, it's difficult to "hike away from people" in N.Idaho, you can't usually go too far in without hiking onto another road. Keep that in mind for your research and scouting.

crossone

FNG
Lots of good points in the last few posts. New residents are the 800 pound gorilla in the room and IDFG can't do anything about it. I'd love to cut the number of non-resident tags down (especially since so many of them are now residents) and they do use them as a source of revenue (all states do) and the residents of Idaho are complete knumskuls when it comes to raising tag and license fees. They absolutely holler about fees going up by $3. "Only for the rich! The IDFG only works for the almighty dollar! They're going to squeeze working people out!" Blah, blah, blah! 80% of them think nothing of dropping $30k on a new camper, another $10k for a four wheeler (which is surgically attached) and blow $250 in gasoline that weekend.

Here's a question, that 3/4 of Oregon that is proposing to join us, are they going to bring more good hunting acres per person?

Roguer53

FNG

Exactly right!

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good points in the last few posts. New residents are the 800 pound gorilla in the room and IDFG can't do anything about it. I'd love to cut the number of non-resident tags down (especially since so many of them are now residents) and they do use them as a source of revenue (all states do) and the residents of Idaho are complete knumskuls when it comes to raising tag and license fees. They absolutely holler about fees going up by $3. "Only for the rich! The IDFG only works for the almighty dollar! They're going to squeeze working people out!" Blah, blah, blah! 80% of them think nothing of dropping $30k on a new camper, another $10k for a four wheeler (which is surgically attached) and blow $250 in gasoline that weekend.

Here's a question, that 3/4 of Oregon that is proposing to join us, are they going to bring more good hunting acres per person?
Actually... yes, The counties that wish to join have some pretty good hunting (at least for elk anyway) Just managed pretty poorly. Mule Deer is another story.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
For those not happy with Non Resident hunting... For years i would bitch and gripe at seeing an out of state plate. And then i matured, started hunting other states and got educated on the funding for wildlife needs. Without NR revenues, every fish and wildlife department in the west would fall apart and/or have to raise Resident Tag Prices exponentially. Want to cut down on seeing NR in every corner of every unit? ...find a way to stop the TV, Youtube, Social Media, presentations that tell everyone that its easy, just back pack in, use the fancy call and you can kill a 360 bull on opening morning.......yeah, thats not happening :)

the way i look at it, a True hunter is someone that respects the land and the animals in whatever state they hunt. I don't mind bumping into good people in the back country. If there are too many of them, i didnt plan right. I love to hunt and will hunt as many states as possible including my own. Life is too short to limit yourself to one elk season per year.

Roguer53

FNG
For those not happy with Non Resident hunting... For years i would bitch and gripe at seeing an out of state plate. And then i matured, started hunting other states and got educated on the funding for wildlife needs. Without NR revenues, every fish and wildlife department in the west would fall apart and/or have to raise Resident Tag Prices exponentially. Want to cut down on seeing NR in every corner of every unit? ...find a way to stop the TV, Youtube, Social Media, presentations that tell everyone that its easy, just back pack in, use the fancy call and you can kill a 360 bull on opening morning.......yeah, thats not happening :)

the way i look at it, a True hunter is someone that respects the land and the animals in whatever state they hunt. I don't mind bumping into good people in the back country. If there are too many of them, i didnt plan right. I love to hunt and will hunt as many states as possible including my own. Life is too short to limit yourself to one elk season per year.
Absolutely right

14idaho

FNG
I was the last outfitter to operate in unit 6.
I can tell you that if your expecting to see herds of elk you'll be disappointed. However, there are small groups of elk to be found, usually 3 or 4 together. Find the thickest most remote patch and you'll find elk. There are tons of hunters but most won't be far from the roads. Get away from the pressure and that's where the elk are. As far as mule deer they are few and far between in this area,don't be too chosey. Good luck, wish you well.

Roguer53

FNG
I was the last outfitter to operate in unit 6.
I can tell you that if your expecting to see herds of elk you'll be disappointed. However, there are small groups of elk to be found, usually 3 or 4 together. Find the thickest most remote patch and you'll find elk. There are tons of hunters but most won't be far from the roads. Get away from the pressure and that's where the elk are. As far as mule deer they are few and far between in this area,don't be too chosey. Good luck, wish you well.
Well thats tuff to hear considering we're not young guys anymore. It's been more of just enjoying the camp for a long time.

If it is the experience you are after, have you read any of the Frank Church threads.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by this? I have a Middle Fork rag in my pocket. Looking to go to the Frank this fall. I am looking for an adventure. Sure taking a bull elk will be icing on the cake, but I can have a great time and not shoot an animal.

Similar to the OP, this will be my maiden voyage out west hunting elk. I’d say I’m pretty bushy and somewhat in shape, but running marathons but very capable and very mentally tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by this? I have a Middle Fork rag in my pocket. Looking to go to the Frank this fall. I am looking for an adventure. Sure taking a bull elk will be icing on the cake, but I can have a great time and not shoot an animal.

Similar to the OP, this will be my maiden voyage out west hunting elk. I’d say I’m pretty bushy and somewhat in shape, but running marathons but very capable and very mentally tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you flying in?