Idaho-Unit 66A Muley/Whitetail Success???

I was lucky enough to draw a Unit 66A Elk Tag for the 2021 season in Idaho. I will be there the 3rd week of September for 8 days. My group has already been to this location several times and tells me it has pretty good elk numbers but this will be there first time out there for Muley's as some did not draw the Elk tag. This is my first out of state hunt and I am in the beginning stages of gear purchasing and game planning. I do have the opportunity to also grab a Mule/Whitetail tag as well. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on whether or not I should get the extra tag ?

Rob5589

WKR
Welcome to the forum. A whitetail would be basically a unicorn there. Mule deer numbers are poor in the zone due to some harsh winters. You'll garner far more intel from your buds that have had boots on the ground. Good luck!

87TT

WKR
Stick with one or the other. In other words since you have an elk tag, forget about the deer. They will not be in the same places usually. Also filling an elk tag your first year will be hard enough.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, focus on elk. Also, you bought a tag, you didn't draw a tag. Two completely different processes. If you try to do deer and elk you'll waste too much time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
BuffaloBornHntr
Thanks for the suggestions guys. "Sneaky" you are correct. I did "buy" the tag. I did however have to wait for a lottery type number to be given to me and then wait in a virtual line before I was able to select my animal/area. I'm sure your familiar with the process. I looked at it like a lottery type draw. I had been applying in Arizona for the past 3yrs for elk and have not drawn yet. The Idaho process was quick and easy to navigate.

87TT

WKR
I looked at the IDFG website and there was exactly 4 deer taken during bow season last year. 1 buck and 3 does. 2% success for archery deer in 66A. Save the $351 bucks on the tag.

OP
BuffaloBornHntr
Wow, those are bad odds. Thanks again for sharing the information. Greatly appreciated.