Idaho unit archery elk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys
With no luck drawing NM this year I’m thinking about southern Idaho
Unit 70/71
Any help would be appreciated

I've had a few buddies hunt it and I've helped a little on their tag. I'm working in Pocatello a lot these days.

Are you aware of the density and private land issue? It's spelled out in the most recent Idaho Elk Management Plan. The unit isn't like most in SE Idaho with decent or better elk numbers. The elk in the Bannock Zone are scattered in little pockets.

Talk to the bios and you'll need to cover some ground in the unit. It can be decent but it's just not the normal Idaho hunt with backcountry and somewhat evenly spread elk populations.

I helped a buddy with a moose tag in unit 70 last year. I probably spent 4-5 days total in there. Saw 4 elk total. All cows/calfs.

elkguide

WKR
Same here. Helped a buddy and his wife with her moose tag and only saw 1 cow after countless hours of glassing the area.

npm352

WKR
That zone does not have many elk. They are scattered and transient. I have lived in 71 for 10 years and bought that zone only once for elk. I have had four elk sightings in ten years of deer/moose/coyote hunting in 71. Elk are there, and guys get them on the draw rifle tags, but unless you have some private or insider info, or happen to be a member of the sho-ban tribe, it is pretty tricky otc.

I use to hunt unit 70 quit a bit years back, if you decide to go that route pm me and I can give you some pointers. I will agree with others though, elk aren't as plentiful compared to other units

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is definitely a low population overall.However the bancock zone is fairly big and does have pockets of elk,im not going to mention any area's.I have seen a few really good bulls in there.

nschom

FNG
I use to hunt unit 70 quit a bit years back, if you decide to go that route pm me and I can give you some pointers. I will agree with others though, elk aren't as plentiful compared to other units
Any help in 70 would be much appreciated.

This is my first year hunting the region as well. My wife wants me to hunt closer to home to save on gas... do I have a shot at finding an elk during the archery season if I skirt the backsides of private lands?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is my first year hunting the region as well. My wife wants me to hunt closer to home to save on gas... do I have a shot at finding an elk during the archery season if I skirt the backsides of private lands?
Welcome to Rokslide. You should take an opportunity to look around a bit and you'll find this community is pretty awesome.

Now unfortunately we aren't letting FNG's (new guys) post up unit specific questions. Any unit question/answers remain out in the world wide webs forever, which can doom some really great spots.

Rokslide's administrations expectation is that all long standing Rokslide members will understand and support this concept and take all such conversations to private message.

Yes it's a hassle to join and be part of this community but the rewards are worth the effort including the ability to send and receive private messages.

Hope to see you active in the forums, and good luck on your hunt, that's a really good tag.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.