Idaho Unit 76 mule deer hunting

mickeyelk

FNG
I hunted this unit last year for a little bit until I hurt my back and had to cut it short. Its hell getting old. Never got to see much of it and never saw any deer. Got another tag this year and will probably try Home canyon again. Anyone have any other areas that they would be willing to share? I was looking into the southwest corner of 76 near the Utah border but it looks, on ON X, that it is blocked by private. Any info on that would also be appreciated on how to get in. I do have a quad to get back in. Than ks everyone viewing this.

elkguide

WKR
76 is a non-motorized vehicle unit, meaning that you can not ride in on your quad and then hunt. Deer are slowly coming back in 76 after a couple bad winterkills. Lots of private land but lots of public land just have to get off the road and find them. I've hunted 76 both private and public but as a non-res opted for a different zone this year since we had to choose a specific zone this year.

OP
mickeyelk

mickeyelk

FNG
Where I hunted last year there was quite a few 2 tracks to drive on. Thanks

Rob5589

WKR
It's a non motorized unit but that doesn't stop people. Nor does the 14 camp limit. We've seen some big deer there including a 6x5 my buddies brother killed in 2015. Since about '16 the herd has taken some big hits. The quality and numbers have gone way down. I was last there in 2019 and the best buck we saw was a decent 3x3.
Access is good but there is private to deal with. Last I looked there was even more private shown on OnX, not to mention all the mining going on throughout the zone.

OP
mickeyelk

mickeyelk

FNG
Thanks. Just trying to get some general info for areas to look at.

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
I cut my teeth hunting mulies in 76. if you put any stock in harvest statistics put out by IDFG, the unit isnt doing as well as it could be. Poor recovery from the winter of 16-17. Still has lots of pressure and poor buck maturity.

as far as suggestions - the deer hunters in 76 are keen on getting 3+ miles in before sunrise. id stick to the northern part of the unit. and use onx's 'roadless areas' feature and plan on getting deep.

WRO

WKR
Do you guys see many elk in 76?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys see many elk in 76?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
76 is part of the diamond creek zone, A highly coveted archery tag. the archery guys chase the elk so hard that they are hard to find come the end of august.