mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
Check with IDFG. They track many collared bears and may provide the data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd check the IDFW site. I imagine they're predominantly north and east, but can't complacent. Could honestly be in any of them. I'm sure they have no problem migrating.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks for the link, lots of times its "go google it, check the DNR website ect" but often people don't know how to phrase what they are looking for to fit a search bar. Its like my mom saying "go look it up in the dictionary" when I'd ask how to spell something growing up.

*Side note why does the key on that map have 3 colors but there are 4 very similar colors on the map? No bears at all in southern Idaho?

K

Kootenay Hunter

Just observing, totally different mentality! I have had griz at the end of my street and bb in my yard, so anywhere I hunt could have 'em, you just don't think about it until you really need to...eg. see one.

Those management units aren't actually outlined in high fences...

OleWI21

FNG
I understand they are more aggressive then black bears. Blows my mind though that people will avoid areas just to not cross paths with one. It's a hell of a success story that we are even seeing their population grow and expand like this. I suggest you get used to the idea of them being around and learn how to hunt in bear territory.

I have seen grizzly bears while out hunting but never had a bad experience. Pretty awesome critters to see. I have been charged by a few black bears in my day though. I assume I would have the same reaction for a grizzly. I shit my pants, my heart will pound out of my chest and I will fire my pistol in the general direction of the sprinting critter.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be in the panhandle this September. We should be just outside of their range where I'll be. I haven't heard or read of very many sightings south of I-90 but who actually knows. There's a lot of wilderness in there. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to officially hear that they've moved into the Bitteroot range within the next 3-5 years either. I'm going to be prepared regardless.

K

Kootenay Hunter

In my few encounters with both species (and I mean encounter as in could have been mauled, not seeing them from a distance) Male griz, unless you spooked them or there's a kill, will spook more easily, it's the mommas with cubs you got to watch out for. BB around people get brazen, and just disregard you unless you agitate them. Although BB bears have been known to be more predatory than griz on humans. Again, with BB, it's the mamma I'm worried about, tree cubs a couple of times per year walking the dog and high tail it out of there before mom comes around. Not saying it's the law, just my experiences.

The scariest cases is when you bump into a bear unsuspectingly, because they probably are doing the same and the light of fight instinct kicks in, you just hope they pick flight. Some cases are unavoidable due to terrain features and wind.

Funniest thing I've seen with bears is spooking both a WT and a BB independently, but at the same time, they take off from their respective locations and start to converge at full tilt, into what I guessed was a collision, behind a massive burned stump, 1/2 sec later I see both sprinting away opposite directions from the stump. Predator and prey both freaked out!

vtracer41

FNG
I had the same questions as we are going to Idaho this year for our first trip out west. We aren't scared of grizzlies, but for 4 Maryland boys, for our first year, that's just one less thing we want to deal with this year, bear spray, sidearms, hanging food in trees, what have you.

I did notice on GoHunt's site, they list in all the Beaverhead and Salmon zones that there are Grizzlies present. So I'm not sure if that's correct, or Idaho just hasn't acknowledged it, or what.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same questions as we are going to Idaho this year for our first trip out west. We aren't scared of grizzlies, but for 4 Maryland boys, for our first year, that's just one less thing we want to deal with this year, bear spray, sidearms, hanging food in trees, what have you.

I did notice on GoHunt's site, they list in all the Beaverhead and Salmon zones that there are Grizzlies present. So I'm not sure if that's correct, or Idaho just hasn't acknowledged it, or what.

Those areas are pretty well outside of their known Yellowstone range right now. The Beaverhead zone is a little closer and I'm sure the occasional bear wanders around out there but I haven't read of any established population. For the Salmon zone I would think your chances of running into a grizzly would be even more remote.

We've bow hunted Beaverhead the last 4 falls and encountered grizzlies in both 2017 and 2018. Thankfully we've seen them long before they've seen us, so nothing to cause an immediate need to change underwear. That said, we've always carried bear spray but one of us now always also has a sidearm too.

The positive, they're really cool to watch....from a safe distance. :)

-BHWI

sneaky

"DADDY"
Those areas are pretty well outside of their known Yellowstone range right now. The Beaverhead zone is a little closer and I'm sure the occasional bear wanders around out there but I haven't read of any established population. For the Salmon zone I would think your chances of running into a grizzly would be even more remote.
Plenty of grizz in the Beaverhead area as has already been noted. They aren't from the GYE population, it's a separate population in that area. Right across in MT in the Big Hole they are very common and usually account for taking an elk or two from hunters every year. They are well documented in that region, as well as the MT side west of the Bitterroot valley. They even see them on the east side of the valley now. Not a stretch to run into grizz in that Beaverhead zone at all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk