Idaho/Western Wyoming Winter 2011/12

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
What a difference a year makes. Last year at this time, we were losing all age classes of deer in these parts and finished the winter with the highest fawn mortality we've ever recorded in Idaho. I know we're not hunting fawns, but when fawn losses get above 80%, adults are dying, too.

Good news is this winter is as mild as I ever remember in 42 years (well I can't remember the first 5), so 37 years.

We're also not in a drought situation as we usually are when we have a light winter. With some spring rains, we should be in good shape for fall 2012.

My prediction for SE Idaho/Western Wyoming will be continued lower harvest rates on mature bucks (cause we lost so many 2010/11 winter) but there will be some surprisingly big bucks killed (think of the buck NT Outfitters killed this year- he made it through that brutal winter and was biggest buck from Wyoming range in nearly 20 years) as I saw some good bucks last year that will very likely be on the hill bigger and better than last year. Anyone else?

Attachments

• Nimrod.jpg
    Nimrod.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Nimrod6.jpg
    Nimrod6.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 9

IrishnId

WKR
Very disappointed in the amount of deer i've been seeing in my travels to work, I drive 120 miles a day to and from work. Winter range and some decent storms and still way below average deer sightings. On any given year from December through February I can usually see between 250 to 300 deer on winter range locations. This year my highest count for a day was 77 deer. I've only seen 7 different bucks. Hopefully your right with the mild winter. What a great new sight! Excited to see how it goes.

Attachments

• E4F479B8-0EFB-40B9-AA2E-C4B5CF569D52.jpg
    E4F479B8-0EFB-40B9-AA2E-C4B5CF569D52.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 627

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I too am beyond pumped to see the growth this year due to the light winter and hopefully a good spring. I saw some absolute toads (IMO) in my OTC unit in 2011. Can't wait to see what made it through the rifle seasons/winter... But as you stated, it should be a great year in SE Idaho!

B

bearguide

the winter has been good hope it stays that way we need lower mortality rates