Idaho whitetails in October

brushape

WKR
Loosely planning a hunting trip to the Idaho panhandle with my dad in search of whitetail in the future and everything I’m reading is directed towards hunting during the rut mid-late November. I could probably pull off a trip that time of the year but October would be much better for my work schedule. What should I expect hunting in October vs November? Neither of us have hunted whitetail but lots of time chasing blacktail and mule deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shupe88

WKR
I’ve never hunted Idaho but if you listen to Elk Shape podcast the Troy Pottinger episode. He has killed multiple giants around the panhandle. It has some very good info. All public land.

Randle

WKR
I have hunted whiteys up here for years. I usually dont hunt much in Oct unless I have some ag ground or other food source in the big timber to hunt around and have been able to pattern bucks. Honestly they can seem to go underground around that time of year. But I love hunting the rut and in the snow, so that is when I focus my time in the woods.I dont have 1/100 of the time or knowledge that Troy Pottenger has.

Last edited:
OP
B

brushape

WKR
Thanks for the info a lot of this is kind of what I was figuring out and I’ll just have to miss a little work and do it right!

Randle

WKR
I have killed several good bucks in October but with what you are planning , a one time trip with no scouting or location knowledge yep your best bet for a good buck are mid November to the end of season.