Idaho whitetails

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at doing a rifle hunt for whitetails, either for 2020 or 2021 depending on how the draws fall. Would like to do a diy type hunt, and would like a good representative of the species. I’m not afraid to put in a few miles on my boots to get a good opportunity. What should I be looking at for areas, I think I have it narrowed down to the panhandle area. I can exchange any information for Arizona, if it would be easier to pm I understand. Thank you!!! Daniel

Spoonbill

WKR
I would give fish and game a call and ask where they have a high concentration of whitetails, they will give you an idea of where to start looking.

Wrench

WKR
Think sub 5k feet, thick timber or edge type habitats. Consider early weeks of November to be rut friendly. Ps.....thick stuff up here is really really thick. They will be on the move though so be present.

OP
Daniel Bybee

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you guys, I’ll give a call to fish and game as well. I appreciate it.

Major rut activity Nov 20s. Look for clear cuts behind locked gates. Timber Co lands that allow access on foot....which I think is all of them. You're hunting does at that point. Last 30 minutes would be critical. Plan on walking out with a headlamp. You'll see deer.

OP
Daniel Bybee

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
Major rut activity Nov 20s. Look for clear cuts behind locked gates. Timber Co lands that allow access on foot....which I think is all of them. You're hunting does at that point. Last 30 minutes would be critical. Plan on walking out with a headlamp. You'll see deer.
Is there a ton of timber company lands?

Yes. You're looking for a change in habitat. There are 1000s of acres of public land. Much looks the same. Mountainous country well covered with vegetation. Both private and state will harvest timber. Which creates new habitat. And browse. Which attract deer.

gargra03

Lil-Rokslider
I spent the last week of November and first week of December is the Salmon / Lemhi area and ran into a lot of whitetail on Public Land.

jimmy33

WKR
PM me...i know northern WT pretty well and would love to get some info about coues hunting in AZ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huntnnw

WKR
the very best dates to be in the woods are Nov 18-25. Dont expect to just glass up deer in the open and I would probably not even wast my time unless you knew of a field or clear cut that deer were coming out into and it would be the last few min of light. Look for pinch points such as corner of fields and clear cuts where there maybe another opening, major road near a corner of that field or opening causing a funnel. Bucks out cruising will cut right by these corners just inside to stay hidden. Mountain saddles are another good spot for cruising bucks, ridge lines are another good place to sit and wait for bucks cruising around. Bring a grunt tube I have called in more bucks with a grunt tube than I can count. Keep eyes peeled for fresh rubs and scrapes, if you find both try to determine path buck is hitting them and set up accordingly to wind and use grunt tube. Whitetails are a patience game and usually close quarters with not a lot to see in this area. If you are hunting in the mentioned above dates hunt all day, Bucks move alot in mid day in the peak of the rut. Rain is another, some of the biggest bucks I have ever seen or killed were on wet rainy days in mid day.