Idaho winter kill

Chadd314

FNG
Anyone in the montpelier area know how bad the winter kill might be? Hunt the area but from Washington so been wondering that all winter. I heard it's been bad in idaho in general.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I don't know about the Bear Lake area in general, but I was just up in Salmon, Challis and Mackay this weekend, and the winter kills are much higher than usual. Hwy 93 from Arco through Mackay has a reduced speed due to animals on the road, and it has been that way for months.

That said, I did see a good number of healthy looking animals too.

Tough winters with heavy snowfalls are all part of the cycle of life..

The Utah side of Bear Lake was the hardest hit for us and the first spot they started feeding.
I can't imagine Idaho was much better but can't say for sure.

I read on GoHunt that the mule deer fawn were hit hard, but that the elk herd was doing ok??
I'm planning a cent Id hunt and am waiting for more precise numbers.

I thought I also read the pan handle was hit the worst?

I went and scouted around 2 weekends ago and saw several large herds around the salmon/challis area. I was pleased by to see several big bodied brutes.

kicker338

WKR
Was at a fish& game meeting last wk for panhandle and the biologist said the elk did fine this winter here and the deer were in good shape too.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
So far finding a good number of whiteys dead but yet to find an elk dead in the panhandle will soon be venturing deep on elk to get a full view of how it went..deep snow is coming off quick with lots of rain this month which should save many along with milder temps

OP
Chadd314

Chadd314

FNG
Thank you it is much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk