Idaho Wolf Hunting

Ntuttle15

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying to buy some time for spring bear season to open up in a while, and also wanting to get rid of some wolves. I know that there have probably been other posts about wolves on here with information, and if you want to just reference those on here that would be great!
But if you also know of a rather specific area where there are wolves and you aren't afraid to share it and let me try and kill them then go ahead and share! I would love to go out and hunt them with some buddies.

Wrench

WKR
Where are you? It's pretty 101 right now. Elk are wadded up in the winter ground and the wolves are watching them. Find big herd of elk and pay attention.

OP
Ntuttle15

Ntuttle15

Lil-Rokslider
Where are you? It's pretty 101 right now. Elk are wadded up in the winter ground and the wolves are watching them. Find big herd of elk and pay attention.
I'm in the boise area. But not afraid of driving several hours north. I see what you're saying though

Wolves roam huge home ranges. A guy could tell you where they've seen them and it's far from a slam dunk. Check out the old wolf management plans to get an idea of general pack locations. If you're in Boise, there are plenty of wolves in unit 39. Idaho City, Thorn Cr. Grimes Cr., and up the middle fork of the Boise pretty close to the river where the animals migrate through all produce wolves. I've never shot one myself or even seen one but if you drive into those areas you'll see tracks and wolves are around. The wolf hunting is a little easier while the herds are concentrated on winter range. To get into higher wolf concentrations look to the north in the Sawtooth, McCall, Middle Fork, Selway areas, especially the last two but they're real hard to access.

OP
Ntuttle15

Ntuttle15

Lil-Rokslider
Wolves roam huge home ranges. A guy could tell you where they've seen them and it's far from a slam dunk. Check out the old wolf management plans to get an idea of general pack locations. If you're in Boise, there are plenty of wolves in unit 39. Idaho City, Thorn Cr. Grimes Cr., and up the middle fork of the Boise pretty close to the river where the animals migrate through all produce wolves. I've never shot one myself or even seen one but if you drive into those areas you'll see tracks and wolves are around. The wolf hunting is a little easier while the herds are concentrated on winter range. To get into higher wolf concentrations look to the north in the Sawtooth, McCall, Middle Fork, Selway areas, especially the last two but they're real hard to access.
Yeah I've only ever seen wolves in 14, where I'm familiar hunting. But access in that area is tough. But that was early december, I have no idea where they would be in the spring. I know they're out there somewhere. My thinking, like was stated earlier, was to find the elk and proceed from there. But ive never done it before, don't know anyone who has, just trying to learn and have fun with it

Yeah I've only ever seen wolves in 14, where I'm familiar hunting. But access in that area is tough. But that was early december, I have no idea where they would be in the spring. I know they're out there somewhere. My thinking, like was stated earlier, was to find the elk and proceed from there. But ive never done it before, don't know anyone who has, just trying to learn and have fun with it

Just bear hunt in a place with wolves around for some more time on them. 14, 20, 21, 20a, 19a would be a good starting place. 14 isn't particularly tough to access if you hit it from the river road and just start hiking uphill. Go for it!

OP
Ntuttle15

Ntuttle15

Lil-Rokslider
Just bear hunt in a place with wolves around for some more time on them. 14, 20, 21, 20a, 19a would be a good starting place. 14 isn't particularly tough to access if you hit it from the river road and just start hiking uphill. Go for it!
Gotcha. Gunna go for it this year. Im excited to get out

JoeyP

FNG
Do people regularly see wolves in Unit 39? Not looking to hunt them, just want to be careful during deer season.

OP
Ntuttle15

Ntuttle15

Lil-Rokslider
Do people regularly see wolves in Unit 39? Not looking to hunt them, just want to be careful during deer season.
I know people see them around Idaho city. But shouldn't be anything to worry about

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

JoeyP

FNG
I know people see them around Idaho city. But shouldn't be anything to worry about

Sounds good. Wasn't sure if they were skittish like coyotes or if I'm going to be like Liam Neeson in "The Grey".

OP
Ntuttle15

Ntuttle15

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds good. Wasn't sure if they were skittish like coyotes or if I'm going to be like Liam Neeson in "The Grey".
Hahahahaha! My experience with them is they are pretty skittish. They will try to get out of Dodge if they see you

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I’d also like to be careful and not run into any wolves. I’d take any type of info and coordinates (for any unit ) of wolf location and activities just as extra precaution.

nidaho

FNG
If you don’t want to run into wolves the best bet would be to stay out of the woods😀. But seriously I live in a very high concentration of wolves heard lots and lots of howls only seen a couple. I do have a friend who has been chased by them and the same friend shot three or four ( all at the same time) with his bow when he called them in elk hunting.

freddyG

WKR
You have a way better chance of finding a wolf while hunting for other critters. Going wolf hunting and shooting a wolf is very tough. They have a huge range, and could be literally anywhere.

The easiest way to find one in Idaho is to find a fish and game “big game” feeding station in the dead of winter. It’s literally a wolf buffet. You can’t shoot a wolf within a mile of one, but that small obstacle is nothing compared to finding one elsewhere.

Last 2 yrs archery elk hunting and guys saw them hanging around a few antelope. I never saw any though. Did hear them howling but never saw them.

Wolves are well dispersed, especially north of the Snake River. If there are elk there, there is a very good chance that wolves are close too.

If you don’t want to run into wolves the best bet would be to stay out of the woods😀. But seriously I live in a very high concentration of wolves heard lots and lots of howls only seen a couple. I do have a friend who has been chased by them and the same friend shot three or four ( all at the same time) with his bow when he called them in elk hunting.
Was there a point in which your friend decided he should have brought a gun???

nidaho

FNG
Yes he said both times he would have liked a gun. But I bet the only reason he shot that many was because of him using his bow ( silent)

Gfmize

FNG
There are wolves in every drainage into the St Joe around Avery, Bovill and St Maries. Also plenty where Tepee Creek meets up with the North Fork of the Coeur d’Alene River.