Idaho wolf hunting

Pancake

FNG
I've hunted wolves a couple times. I've never had success, so take my advice with a grain of salt. But the one time I chased them in Idaho was during archery elk season. Everyone we talked to assumed we were also out hunting elk (even though we were carrying guns). As soon as we told them we were looking for wolves, they'd get excited and would try to offer us advice and possible locations to check out.

All that to say, take advantage of the local hunting community. Talk to people who are out there in the field, at gas stations, and everywhere else. People seemed pretty willing to share spots if they knew you were looking to bag a wolf.

N.ID7803

WKR
I've hunted wolves a couple times. I've never had success, so take my advice with a grain of salt. But the one time I chased them in Idaho was during archery elk season. Everyone we talked to assumed we were also out hunting elk (even though we were carrying guns). As soon as we told them we were looking for wolves, they'd get excited and would try to offer us advice and possible locations to check out.

All that to say, take advantage of the local hunting community. Talk to people who are out there in the field, at gas stations, and everywhere else. People seemed pretty willing to share spots if they knew you were looking to bag a wolf.
This is very true. Ive got a lot of good intel from folks on here as well. Its not about trying to steal someone's spot its about trying to narrow down the needle in the haystack. If we all help each other out we will start to win the battle.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
latest newsletter and interesting notation on the lady from back east that tagged along and how to twist views with words….sounds all to familiar regarding the fuzzy little killers….🤣 I don’t know Justin but he is one of the 4 wolf trappers in the areas I hunt and thanks to him and the others there are a few elk remaining, sadly two of the trappers are in the mid 60s and their extensive knowledge hopefully gets past on as I know one of them has trapped a crazy number and when I met him in the backcountry I shook his hand 3 times as he whipped out an 8x10 photo showing me his impressive collection👊👊 sadly he told me my favorite haunt had the most wolf sign he has seen anywhere and is simply toooo far to trap

Attachments

• 34B0B232-CC13-4207-A690-0E7A05001E29.png
    34B0B232-CC13-4207-A690-0E7A05001E29.png
    481.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 1FB87F6F-3F85-4E1D-84AB-27A7471CB3B8.png
    1FB87F6F-3F85-4E1D-84AB-27A7471CB3B8.png
    895.1 KB · Views: 44
  • D7BAAAB1-09EA-4747-8111-ED697341351E.png
    D7BAAAB1-09EA-4747-8111-ED697341351E.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • 01C96AEF-2076-4A8D-B26C-5F470ACE46AD.png
    01C96AEF-2076-4A8D-B26C-5F470ACE46AD.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • BB12317B-922C-4A54-BD77-B145B0777E68.png
    BB12317B-922C-4A54-BD77-B145B0777E68.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • 20B8F962-730D-44C4-8FD0-C4FA2E07B598.png
    20B8F962-730D-44C4-8FD0-C4FA2E07B598.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
latest newsletter and interesting notation on the lady from back east that tagged along and how to twist views with words….sounds all to familiar regarding the fuzzy little killers…. I don’t know Justin but he is one of the 4 wolf trappers in the areas I hunt and thanks to him and the others there are a few elk remaining, sadly two of the trappers are in the mid 60s and their extensive knowledge hopefully gets past on as I know one of them has trapped a crazy number and when I met him in the backcountry I shook his hand 3 times as he whipped out an 8x10 photo showing me his impressive collection sadly he told me my favorite haunt had the most wolf sign he has seen anywhere and is simply toooo far to trap
Suzanne Stone lives down in Sun Valley...I could offer my opinion on her and her bunch but it wouldn't fly on here. I would have told Page to go pound sand. I didn't read the article because I knew it was nonsense from the title. I know Brendon. Doesn't surprise me that someone from the New Yorker would try to smear him, and anyone else who chases wolves. He told his haters on YouTube he was going to start putting their names on traps as "sponsors" lol. May not matter if the lawsuit goes against us.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
latest newsletter and interesting notation on the lady from back east that tagged along and how to twist views with words….sounds all to familiar regarding the fuzzy little killers….🤣 I don’t know Justin but he is one of the 4 wolf trappers in the areas I hunt and thanks to him and the others there are a few elk remaining, sadly two of the trappers are in the mid 60s and their extensive knowledge hopefully gets past on as I know one of them has trapped a crazy number and when I met him in the backcountry I shook his hand 3 times as he whipped out an 8x10 photo showing me his impressive collection👊👊 sadly he told me my favorite haunt had the most wolf sign he has seen anywhere and is simply toooo far to trap
I know Justin and he is a solid dude. I've been a member for years since seeing more wolves in Idaho than ANY animal.

Quite frankly, its sad the Foundation isn't more supported/talked about on here to increase not only membership numbers and support, but also wolf hunters. Every meeting I've been to has been nothing but a room full of great people-family outdoorsmen and women.

Getting paid to do something I normally spend thousands to do? No brainer!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quite frankly, its sad the Foundation isn't more supported/talked about on here to increase not only membership numbers and support, but also wolf hunters. Every meeting I've been to has been nothing but a room full of great people-family outdoorsmen and women.
Perfect someday I will run into Justin in my favorite haunts and shake his hand…..🤙 the reality of what the wolves did in north Idaho and northwest Montana is only known to guys like Justin and families with a long history of hunting this country….don’t want to see it happen elsewhere if it can be slowed or stopped.

Deadfall

WKR
We running into the same thing in montana. Wolves are hanging back in harder to get too places now, avoiding hunting and trapping pressure. Eating more mature loner type animals.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, bachelor groups of bulls, and any moose, is in trouble with those damn things. We're a thousand percent over objective and that still isn't good enough for the "your dog has a little wolf in it" crowd. Let your dog out in northern or central Idaho these days and there'll be "a lot of your dog in these wolves".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk