Idaho wolf hunting

New on here and didn't see a dedicated wolf section. I'm just getting into wolf hunting here in idaho. I've got a couple spots picked out to start in unit 48 but was wondering if anyone had any tips on good starting points or tips. I'm gonna be west of ketchum area a ways

OP
T
We need more people to do this. I would get up on some ridge tops and do some howling at night and get some located and then go from there. Best of luck.
I've got some ridges I want to get up on and start calling only problem with night time is and I'm not gonna lie, I'm a big sissy in the mountains at night by myself haha. My mind gets to me pretty easy. If I had someone to go with me I'd be fine but I'll be by myself so I'm trying for early morning hours and as far into the evening as I can go.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

What’s the best way to call them or is there anyway to lure them into a setup?
I think most people call from ridges and drainages about 1-2 hours before sunrise to locate them. In *my* experience they howl a lot around that time, just personal experience though. They seem a lot more vocal when there's snow on the ground.

Deadfall

WKR
Howling to find. Distressed pup to kill.

If you get a pack found, not just a solo, then display howling works to bring them in. Wolves very territorial. Lead dog will come to run off the intruder.

If you can locate tracks bur hear no responses to howling. Howl at the same spot every morning for a week. Pretty soon one will hear and bring everybody to check it out.

Winter time. Where the elk are. There will be wolves close by. Within a couple miles.

OP
T
Howling to find. Distressed pup to kill.

If you get a pack found, not just a solo, then display howling works to bring them in. Wolves very territorial. Lead dog will come to run off the intruder.

If you can locate tracks bur hear no responses to howling. Howl at the same spot every morning for a week. Pretty soon one will hear and bring everybody to check it out.

Winter time. Where the elk are. There will be wolves close by. Within a couple miles.
When you say display howling what are you meaning by that? I'm not familiar with that term

Deadfall

WKR
When you say display howling what are you meaning by that? I'm not familiar with that term

When a young male leaves pack looking to start his own. He will travel and howl alot, looking for a mate/new pack. Established aloha will come to whip him and most of his pack will be there to watch.

There's as many types, variations and reasoning for howling as there is any other animal vocalization. Length, tones, pitches, wavering, they all play a part in what you trying to say. Emotion behind it. The howl of a wolf laid out sunning himself is different then then what he sounds like on a kill. And so on.

If you can imagine the emotion difference between a bull that's looking for mating and one that has found it. Applt to that with howls instead of bugles