Idaho Wolf Lawsuit

Squincher

WKR
It’s almost like we woulda been better off if our elected officials kept their noses out of season setting….seems like some of us said this would happen and were berated and called wolf lovers by many here…..

Shoulda left well enough alone and we coulda kept the seasons we had, now we’ll be lucky if we even have seasons once this shit show is over.

Better to continue with something that wasn't working because you're afraid someone might sue? Great way to run a state.

Okhotnik

WKR
It’s almost like we woulda been better off if our elected officials kept their noses out of season setting….seems like some of us said this would happen and were berated and called wolf lovers by many here…..

Shoulda left well enough alone and we coulda kept the seasons we had, now we’ll be lucky if we even have seasons once this shit show is over.

Have you followed the multiple anti hunting lawsuits filed in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan to shut down wolf hunting after the objectives were met? Did you see the wolf trapping ban just shot down in Montana? Good for Idaho fighting back. This is going to be an unending fight for sportsmen.

Okhotnik

WKR
At the end of the day consistency matters.

Go ahead and set the precedent that lawmakers should have a say in game management. Wonder how often that principle is gonna work for us vs against us?

Hunters are all about letting biologists handle science based management when referendums to end bear hunting pop up. Then when it suits us we sing a different tune.

Makes us look stupid and self-serving, which invalidates the whole "hunting is conservation" thing in the eyes of the public.
Would you admit that many wildlife biologists, depending on the state, have an anti hunting and politics based agenda? How's that wolf control doing now in Oregon? Have objectives been met and when they are met will they ever ever allow wolf trapping and snaring in Oregon, Washington, and eventually Colorado? Kind of makes sportsmen who believe that wildlife management is fair, conservation and science based in liberal progressive controlled states look like naive morons doesnt it?

Why would sportsmen care what people who want to ban hunting think of us?

Okhotnik

WKR

Go ahead and set the precedent that lawmakers should have a say in game management. Wonder how often that principle is gonna work for us vs against us?

Hunters are all about letting biologists handle science based management when referendums to end bear hunting pop up. Then when it suits us we sing a different tune.

Makes us look stupid and self-serving, which invalidates the whole "hunting is conservation" thing in the eyes of the public.
Here's a wildlife biologist chiming in on hunting, predator and trapping. He sounds like a conservation based expert doesn't he? lol

TheTone

WKR
Here's a wildlife biologist chiming in on hunting, predator and trapping. He sounds like a conservation based expert doesn't he? lol

His bio doesn’t read like he actually ever did any biology work; looks to be a retired real estate agent. Regardless of the degrees I’ll listen to people actually working as a biologist

bsnedeker

WKR

I'm not really following you here....biologists are the ones who set the population objectives for wolves. How are hunters on the opposite side of the biologists here? There is a disagreement on on the best method to reach that objective which is not something that biologists get involved in. The disagreement is with IDFG officials so democratically-elected representatives are stepping in.

Unfortunately this is sometimes necessary as policy-setters are sometimes prioritizing politics over science. Wolves would still be listed if it weren't for an act of congress despite the science telling us very clearly that objectives were met LONG ago. Same thing with grizz in the lower 48. The only way we are going to be able to hunt them is if politicians step in and put an end the never-ending crusade of people who don't care about science.

To be clear I'm not saying I agree with this policy in ID. I agree that ID's wolf hunting program was already pretty dang good. I just disagree with the sentiment that this is hypocritical on the part of hunters. The science says wolves are greatly over objective. The disagreement is entirely on the best methods to get us to a place where wolf numbers are where they should be.

Hoodie

WKR
I'm not really following you here....biologists are the ones who set the population objectives for wolves. How are hunters on the opposite side of the biologists here? There is a disagreement on on the best method to reach that objective which is not something that biologists get involved in. The disagreement is with IDFG officials so democratically-elected representatives are stepping in.

Unfortunately this is sometimes necessary as policy-setters are sometimes prioritizing politics over science. Wolves would still be listed if it weren't for an act of congress despite the science telling us very clearly that objectives were met LONG ago. Same thing with grizz in the lower 48. The only way we are going to be able to hunt them is if politicians step in and put an end the never-ending crusade of people who don't care about science.

To be clear I'm not saying I agree with this policy in ID. I agree that ID's wolf hunting program was already pretty dang good. I just disagree with the sentiment that this is hypocritical on the part of hunters. The science says wolves are greatly over objective. The disagreement is entirely on the best methods to get us to a place where wolf numbers are where they should be.

I get what you're saying here. I, like several other people who commented, think this whole thing was always more likely to backfire than succeed.

I get that this one time in Idaho, the lawmakers were pushing for something almost every hunter in the state would support.

Generally that is not the case. For example: SB-22 in California (bear hunting ban), New Mexico trapping ban, ban on hound hunting for bears/cougars in Oregon, total ban on lion hunting in California, loss of spring bear seasons in multiple western states.

I'm personally not going to endorse a way of going about things that results in us losing 90% of the time, so we can maybe win once.

Like you said, Idaho's wolf hunting program was already pretty good. If it gets totally canned now due to this legislation attracting massive attention and subsequent lawsuits, are we better or worse off?

OP
Mtnboy

Mtnboy

WKR
Have you followed the multiple anti hunting lawsuits filed in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan to shut down wolf hunting after the objectives were met? Did you see the wolf trapping ban just shot down in Montana? Good for Idaho fighting back. This is going to be an unending fight for sportsmen.
Go ahead and point me to any lawsuits in recent years in Idaho before the Legislature stepped in.

To try to act like all the new attention and lawsuits in Idaho isn't due to this new law is completely ignoring the events at hand. It's not just coincidence. It's also laughable how many people just blindly follow the elected idiots in this state just because they have an R next to their name.....people seem scared to open their eyes and see just how stupid these people that keep getting elected are. As they say though....ignorance is bliss.

Maybe when the Legislature sets some Elk seasons to help out their Rancher friends folks will start seeing the light. Stamp it, they will meddle sooner or later with Elk and it won't be to benefit sportsman.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Go ahead and point me to any lawsuits in recent years in Idaho before the Legislature stepped in.
There were a bunch from about 2011-2013, then a couple in 2015-2016 and now this one. Seems to fit the timeline perfectly. It pretty hard to keep suing for the same thing over and over again so they have to wait for something to change.

I am not saying I agree with the legislature getting involved or that I think that was a good thing but "be happy with living off of crumbs and dont saying anything for fear of losing the cake" is not a good argument.

OP
Mtnboy

Mtnboy

WKR
There were a bunch from about 2011-2013, then a couple in 2015-2016 and now this one. Seems to fit the timeline perfectly. It pretty hard to keep suing for the same thing over and over again so they have to wait for something to change.

I am not saying I agree with the legislature getting involved or that I think that was a good thing but "be happy with living off of crumbs and dont saying anything for fear of losing the cake" is not a good argument.
Living off crumbs?

We already had the most liberal wolf seasons of any state.

If more people would have got off the couch and Wolf hunted instead of just complaining about them we woulda been just fine but like most things in life it's easier to bitch and moan and make excuses than actually do something about it.

I'm gonna bow out now, nobody mind is going to be changed.

My last piece of advice, go Wolf hunting in Idaho while you can cause it's not looking like a bright future.....

bsnedeker

WKR
I don't live in Wyoming or Idaho or Montana but if I did, I would just gut shoot every wolf I saw and move on.
That' a hot take: You would purposefully try to cause physical pain to an animal and prolong their suffering as long as possible in order to take out your frustration with F&G and environmentalists.

Can't say I agree with that.

OP
Mtnboy

Mtnboy

WKR
Can you help me understand how the fish and game commission is not the government?

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Can you help me understand how the fish and game commission is not the government?

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
No, I cannot.

If you aren’t able to figure that out on your own then I can’t help you at all.

You seem butt hurt because your guys didn't get elected. Most heads of game agencies are politicians (appointed) so your argument that wildlife regs should not be influenced by politics doesn't hold a lot of water.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
All good points in this thread, except the gut shooting of wildlife. It’s not the wolves fault they’re being pulled in every which direction. I’m still on the fence, they must be managed like any game animal in the lower 48 with all the habitat issues they face. Also agree with the elk are next like in Montana.