Idaho Wolf

Anyone have a good idea where the most concentration of wolves are in Idaho...like to save some elk and deer up there. Also, how easy it is to get access on ranches to shoot wolves that are over running the ranch, killing elk/deer and messing with cattle. This is for Idaho only. Be rifle hunting and would like to stay south of North Fork, ID.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Fish and Game told us in our wolf trapping class last week that pretty much everywhere in Idaho that could sustain a wolf, has a wolf on it. You could throw a dart on a map in central Idaho and be in one of the pack's home range. Granted, each pack has a range of about 250-500sq miles so you have to commit the time to it. They cycle through their range, just gotta be right place right time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kiddogy

WKR
yep, chances are betern fair you won't see one. but they're around.

calling works great. specially once all the big game seasons wind down.

I second the north Idaho comment. Go bear hunting every spring and rarely have a carcass that doesn’t get hit within 24 hours. That being said, it’s thick and your shots will either be 100 or 1000 yards. Some areas are better than others where you can find some openings from cuts! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those who have successfully hunted wolves in Idaho, what were the ranges you had shots at and what tactics works best? Tracking, type of calling, etc. ???

Also, what caliber are you using for wolves?

Thanks!

sneaky

"DADDY"
For those who have successfully hunted wolves in Idaho, what were the ranges you had shots at and what tactics works best? Tracking, type of calling, etc. ???

Thanks!
Use your elk and deer rifle for wolves. They are tough critters. Watch Sterling Outdoors on YouTube. He hunts them in Montana and shoots them with a 300RUM. You'll never be over- gunned for them.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't disagree with you, just wondering how many folks used an M4 vs. their hunting rifle. I will check check out the YouTube stuff. Thanks!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don't disagree with you, just wondering how many folks used an M4 vs. their hunting rifle. I will check check out the YouTube stuff. Thanks!
Shots can be up close, to 7-800 yds. M4 ain't cutting it at that range.

Wrench

WKR

Thanks!
380 stared me down as I cow called.

Carr5vols

WKR
My son asked me to take him on this hunt, he sees the bounty money I see an opportunity for some family time. I heard unit 4 any other good places to start?

sneaky

"DADDY"
My son asked me to take him on this hunt, he sees the bounty money I see an opportunity for some family time. I heard unit 4 any other good places to start?
That depends on your level of commitment. All of the wilderness areas are loaded with them. Panhandle is crawling with them. Basically central Idaho on up has them.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Forgot to add, the proper term is reimbursement, not bounty. Very important that you phrase it that way especially around pro wolf types, of which this place is covered with them. You get reimbursed for expenses related to your hunt as long as you keep receipts of expenditures and are a member in good standing with F4WM.