Idaho zone 27

Choff8

FNG
Hey I have a deer tag for zone 27 in Idaho this fall. I was wondering if anyone had any luck getting bears here in the fall? Any advice or info would be great. Thanks.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Welcome to the forum!

When is your deer hunt, and are you hunting from the vehicle, flying in, going in on horses, or backpacking?

OP
C

Choff8

FNG
I’ll be going out with a friend in mid October. We’re planning on trying to hunt out of our packs. We have a week and a half or so to get it done

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have been there in September two different years and I saw bears on both trips. There were still berries out then. I would just guess that by mid-October, they would be sticking more to the timber.

It is very rugged country. Shooting a bear and dealing with it might mean the end of your deer hunt. We were on a hunt in a nearby unit a few years ago and we saw a monster bear. I had purposefully not bought a tag. My brother and a friend had tags, but we decided that shooting that bear would be the end of our hunt so we just watched it.

Also, as a FYI, you can get some pretty heavy snow early in the fall in that area so be careful if you park at a high elevation trailhead.

I would still have a discounted bear tag, a discounted mountain lion tag, and a wolf tag or two in my pocket. Good luck.

I have been there in September two different years and I saw bears on both trips. There were still berries out then. I would just guess that by mid-October, they would be sticking more to the timber.

It is very rugged country. Shooting a bear and dealing with it might mean the end of your deer hunt. We were on a hunt in a nearby unit a few years ago and we saw a monster bear. I had purposefully not bought a tag. My brother and a friend had tags, but we decided that shooting that bear would be the end of our hunt so we just watched it.

Also, as a FYI, you can get some pretty heavy snow early in the fall in that area so be careful if you park at a high elevation trailhead.

I would still have a discounted bear tag, a discounted mountain lion tag, and a wolf tag or two in my pocket. Good luck.
Solid advice.

ZGreen

FNG
ive been in there several times in mid october we have seen bears on every trip, they have been anywhere from right off the river to 6500 feet. There are plenty of them back there, me and a buddy are actually going in there over memorial week for a bear hunt, I will let you know how we do.

ive been in there several times in mid october we have seen bears on every trip, they have been anywhere from right off the river to 6500 feet. There are plenty of them back there, me and a buddy are actually going in there over memorial week for a bear hunt, I will let you know how we do.
How did the bear hunt go Z?

Have you been back there in the spring? I’m looking to try my luck in the spring for bear. Trying to do my part against the predators!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

WKR
Have you been back there in the spring? I’m looking to try my luck in the spring for bear. Trying to do my part against the predators!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, I have only been there in the fall. Unless you fly in, I think access to a lot of the unit would be difficult in the spring due to snow.