Idea for wider sleeping pad for back sleepers - for your elbows?

fwafwow

WKR
My quilt worked really well whether I was sleeping on my side, on my back, or moving in between. However, my sleeping pad didn't seem wide enough when I was sleeping on my back because I like to extend my elbows out from my side - but the pad is only wide enough for my body. Seems like someone would make a pad that is wider at that point - or is it just me?

You need a maxi-pad with wings.

J/k I couldn’t resist, LOL

Seriously, I’m also looking for some answers. I know there are tie downs for quilts to sleeping pads but haven’t tried them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
You need a maxi-pad with wings.

J/k I couldn’t resist, LOL

Seriously, I’m also looking for some answers. I know there are tie downs for quilts to sleeping pads but haven’t tried them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's exactly what I'm talking about for the sleeping pad!

Fwiw, the tie downs on the Katabatic worked really well for me

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Klymit Static V Luxe is 30" wide. Like sleeping on your bed at home. The new version is 27" wide but a higher R value. The V Luxe comes in either insulated or non insulated versions

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Recently picked up a Sea to Summit insulated comfort plus in the long/wide rectangular configuration. It comes with a weight penalty, but this thing is the bee’s knees. I can really sprawl out! Other plus in my book, is that it has 2 individual air chambers, which is a nice insurance policy. Plus it is nice for dialing in your “sleep number” on the top layer, while maintaining a firm bottom layer to absorb in bumps in the ground.

Wing idea is spectacular though, I really only use the extra width on the top 1/3 of the pad. I’ve heard talk of ultralight guys chopping pads and melting them back together somehow to make custom sizes to save weight. A guy could probably make a Frankenstein winged pad, if he had the wit and the brass. I’ve had too many hits to the head, however, and I’m definitely not brave enough to get that crafty!

Also not sure I would trust a Frankenstein pad in the back country.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Couple of ultralight pillows, one on each side, would work. My sea to summit pillow weighs like an ounce. Rest your elbows on those.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thermarest is finally making a regular length wide pad in the Prolite Apex. It’s self inflating, so heavier than a straight air pad, but after sleeping on both a popped airpad and a popped self inflating, I think I’ll go with self inflating from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exped makes a tapered pad. Elbow area is 25”ish foot area is narrower than normal. I need a 64-65” diameter sleeping bag to sleep on my back with hands on my chest and my elbows don’t fall off like they do with standard pads.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Klymit Static V Luxe is 30" wide. Like sleeping on your bed at home. The new version is 27" wide but a higher R value. The V Luxe comes in either insulated or non insulated versions

I have the both and must say the new SL vsions with the higher R Value (also thicker and lighter) is considerably warmer in my system yet just wide enough for my side sleeping arms.

I do prefer the 30" width for my arms but feel it overlaps my Nemo foam pad too much allowing the air in the excess to cool from the ground resulting in a cold pad/cold night. A light weight emergency blanket wrapped around the pad helps but the SL had no noticeable coolness even at 17* in Alaska last month where the 30" gets cold on me at 30*. If Nemo or Thermarest would make a 30" reflective foam pad I would certainly buy that to compliment. I plan to experiment with 32" of Reflectix insulation this winter for comparison.

All in all, if I had to pick one I would pick the SL

Shraggs

WKR
With my 20” pad I put my pants on one side and shirt on the other. Have 25” now, better but I’ll still be putting my clothes next to me inside my bivy with quilt