idea on how to quiet a Prime Nexus

rclouse79

WKR
I upped the spine and weight of my arrow significantly last offseason. The first time I shot it I remember being shocked at how quiet it was relative to my old setup. The reduction in noise was a secondary benefit to actually being able to tune my broadheads.

Reactions: Zac

MattB

WKR
One thing I often question about bows off the shelf at shops is whether the cams are synched? I often read about guys calling model x loud or vibe-y when that is contrary to my experience, and I have seen first hand how a bow that has had its cables creep unevenly after it left the factory. While they may sound bad, they clean up with just a few twists here and there.

One thing I often question about bows off the shelf at shops is whether the cams are synched? I often read about guys calling model x loud or vibe-y when that is contrary to my experience, and I have seen first hand how a bow that has had its cables creep unevenly after it left the factory. While they may sound bad, they clean up with just a few twists here and there.

Yeah I've seen some horrible Hoyts because techs didn't bother getting them tuned on the rack. I am around quite a bit of primes and I personally think they are noticeably louder than most other bows, on average.

MattB

WKR
Yeah I've seen some horrible Hoyts because techs didn't bother getting them tuned on the rack. I am around quite a bit of primes and I personally think they are noticeably louder than most other bows, on average.
Hoyts are exactly where I have seen occassions of this. I've never held a Prime so no experience there.

Zac

WKR
This whole idea of a loud bow is ridiculous. None of the new models are loud, and your shooting experience at whatever random shop is totally dependant upon how the bow was set up. People are excluding certain models because the cams aren't properly timed.

This whole idea of a loud bow is ridiculous. None of the new models are loud, and your shooting experience at whatever random shop is totally dependant upon how the bow was set up. People are excluding certain models because the cams aren't properly timed.

*loud* is subjectove. But if you shoot a Nexus2 next to a Solution SS or V3 with the same specs that Nexus is going to be noticeably louder.

It's not *loud* but it emits more noise.

KyleR1985

WKR
Another thing to consider is different noises can seem louder than others, and not be. And different alloy risers, different shaped cams, limbs etc. make different noises.

my black 5 with 80lb limbs is very quiet minus an issue with barrel spacer in cams rattling. Currently running it without them to see how the bearings fare. No noise at all. I added an aftermarket string stop, and shoot a 535gr arrow.

Another thing to consider is different noises can seem louder than others, and not be. And different alloy risers, different shaped cams, limbs etc. make different noises.

my black 5 with 80lb limbs is very quiet minus an issue with barrel spacer in cams rattling. Currently running it without them to see how the bearings fare. No noise at all. I added an aftermarket string stop, and shoot a 535gr arrow.
The Hy-Tek ones are nice.

Zac

WKR
*loud* is subjectove. But if you shoot a Nexus2 next to a Solution SS or V3 with the same specs that Nexus is going to be noticeably louder.

It's not *loud* but it emits more noise.
Agreed, the SS is probably quiet due to its longer brace, and it's more mold performance. Mathews is going to be quieter than anything. I just think this is one of the last considerations to look at.

Agreed, the SS is probably quiet due to its longer brace, and it's more mold performance. Mathews is going to be quieter than anything. I just think this is one of the last considerations to look at.
Really? Sound is top for me. I have a 28.5'' draw so I'll never be fast, so I look at forgiving and quiet as my top 2 preferences in a bow.

Hilariously, I've personally never liked Mathews draw cycles, except for the No-Cam

OP
edwal

edwal

FNG
Since I see lots of new comments I'll give an update. I went with the Mathews VXR. While I understand that some people may say noise is "ridiculous" or the last thing to look at, I just couldn't get over it. I shot 2 different Primes and they both drew great ( this is what made it a difficult choice) but weren't as dead at the shot in both vibration and sound. Honestly, I really thought there was no way I was going home with the Mathews. I had one years ago and wasn't overly impressed. Loved my Elite GTO and really thought it would be another Elite. It was honestly a hard choice between the Mathews, Elite, Bowtech, and Prime. I just tried to do an honest blind test and feel which bow felt like I could hold in my hand and easily repeat my shot process, and always came back to the VXR. I will say the finish chips easy and they don't offer any kind of touch up kit which I'm not too happy with the durability. Put new strings on it, new Bereal grip, and just bought a Tophat kit, took care of everything from the start. Thanks, Ed