Ideal All-season Pant

Chuck44

FNG
I did not want to hijack the recent "One Pair of Pants" thread but this has me thinking (again) on what attributes would make the perfect all-around, all-season Pant.

I am not sure the big clothing manufacturers are incentivized to make one pair of pants that could do it all....but just in case they might listen, let's attempt to tell them what we want.

My wish list of attributes is below. Please add or modify based on your experience and preferences:

1. Made from either Polyester or Nylon with built-in stretch
  2. Medium-weight material (~200-250 g/m2 range)…no backer
  3. Highly wind resistant (from weave…not an additional membrane)
  4. DWR
  5. Ability to cinch the cuff and hook on to boot laces (similar to Fjallraven KEB)
  6. Generous Hip Vents
  7. Ability to roll the lower leg up and secure (similar to Kanabs)
  8. Front/hand pockets that are mesh lined but have a zipper closure; this would allow additional venting when unzipped and heat retention when zipped
  9. Waterproof knees with removable knee pads
  10. Offered in an earth-tone brown and a gray
With venting provided by #6-8, you should be able to push them in to all but the warmest environments

LJ Buck

WKR
I think having an all season pant doesn’t make since. If your talking Sept-Oct in a dry climate (that’s only 8weeks) And for what area are you talking? I mean up in the Yukon your wearing Timberlines on the first of September but in Co I would be wearing them until late October.

Timberlines come the closest, maybe a little warm in the early season and Obsidians function amazing early to late season.

Just buy 2 pairs of pants an early season and then Timberlines. With the addition of rain gear to a kit as a shell why sacrifice a very breathable early season pant?

I wear my alpine pants all year. In the winter I just layer under them. I also use the wrangler outdoor pants Eddie Bauer guide me and I have some ll bean hiking pants. The ll bean pants I don’t wear after September/October if the temp is going to be less then 50.

Terrapin

WKR
I don’t know about ideal, but I wear the Wrangler outdoor cargo pants year-round... I mean literally every single day. Doesn’t matter if I’m going hunting, scouting, working in the machine shop or going to a business meeting. Only thing I change is what I put underneath; or if it’s real crappy, I’ll wear a shell over the top. The pants that I own that have the characteristics you list (Sitka, Kuiu and FirstLite) are all much heavier and don’t fit as comfortably, they they stay at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
Good idea, I would be on board for this as a mid to late season hunt. But when it's warm out, I dont like trying to force heavy pants to work by venting them. Been there, done that. It didnt work for me. I'll buy a 2nd pair of pants. I don't want to have to carry extra water just to recover from the extra sweat I have running down my legs.

I'll stick to a light pair and a medium pair w/ light backer. I can run insulation under the medium weight pants to take them into the late season.

OP
C

Chuck44

FNG
I think having an all season pant doesn’t make since. If your talking Sept-Oct in a dry climate (that’s only 8weeks) And for what area are you talking? I mean up in the Yukon your wearing Timberlines on the first of September but in Co I would be wearing them until late October.

Timberlines come the closest, maybe a little warm in the early season and Obsidians function amazing early to late season.

Just buy 2 pairs of pants an early season and then Timberlines. With the addition of rain gear to a kit as a shell why sacrifice a very breathable early season pant?
I agree that Timberlines check a lot of the boxes. I actually bought a pair of Timberlines last year and modified them with hip vents in an attempt to stretch them in to warmer weather (Hell, Randy Newberg says he wears them no matter what animal or season he is hunting). Unfortunately life got in the way and I was not able to put the modified Timberlines to much of a test this past season, so I really don't know how much they are going to help.

I do own Attacks, Tiburons, Corrugates, Kanabs and the Timberlines.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chuck44

FNG
I wear my alpine pants all year. In the winter I just layer under them. I also use the wrangler outdoor pants Eddie Bauer guide me and I have some ll bean hiking pants. The ll bean pants I don’t wear after September/October if the temp is going to be less then 50.
The Alpine pants did look attractive but what kept me from trying those is that reportedly that did hot have a DWR and they were not offered in a solid color. I hate to spend that much money on pants and then only be able to wear them hunting.

The Alpine pants did look attractive but what kept me from trying those is that reportedly that did hot have a DWR and they were not offered in a solid color. I hate to spend that much money on pants and then only be able to wear them hunting.
I got them when they were in the outlet. I too like solid colors but I was intrigued by them. I think I’m goi g to buy the Kutana pants and sell the alpines. If I’m not wearing base layer then my knees sweat. They do dry really fast so I wasn’t worried about the dwr.

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Kutana's. But they are a little thin for late season. Attack pants are a little too thick for early season although the hip vents help. I don't think I would want to do it with only one pant.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I did not want to hijack the recent "One Pair of Pants" thread but this has me thinking (again) on what attributes would make the perfect all-around, all-season Pant.

I am not sure the big clothing manufacturers are incentivized to make one pair of pants that could do it all....but just in case they might listen, let's attempt to tell them what we want.

My wish list of attributes is below. Please add or modify based on your experience and preferences:

1. Made from either Polyester or Nylon with built-in stretch
  2. Medium-weight material (~200-250 g/m2 range)…no backer
  3. Highly wind resistant (from weave…not an additional membrane)
  4. DWR
  5. Ability to cinch the cuff and hook on to boot laces (similar to Fjallraven KEB)
  6. Generous Hip Vents
  7. Ability to roll the lower leg up and secure (similar to Kanabs)
  8. Front/hand pockets that are mesh lined but have a zipper closure; this would allow additional venting when unzipped and heat retention when zipped
  9. Waterproof knees with removable knee pads
  10. Offered in an earth-tone brown and a gray
With venting provided by #6-8, you should be able to push them in to all but the warmest environments
Your last sentence proves there's no all around pair of pants.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jack of all trades, master of none.

But honestly, you can have a seamstress add zippers, hip vents, buttons/tabs for rolling etc to any pant. Wouldn't really cost much.

The windproof weave and waterproof knees will be the hardest to find. You can add the other stuff.