Ideal cartridge for short barrel and suppressor

Curious what everybody thinks is the “ideal” cartridge for use in a 18+/- inch barrel for use suppressed for all around hunting. Personally on paper the 7mm saw from west Texas ordinance looks sweet but I have no real world experience with it.

Curious what everybody thinks is the “ideal” cartridge for use in a 18+/- inch barrel for use suppressed for all around hunting. Personally on paper the 7mm saw from west Texas ordinance looks sweet but I have no real world experience with it.
7 wsm it'll get you 200-300 fps over the SAW and 100fps or more over a saum

I always figured the 6.5x55 would be about ideal for a hand loader. Moderate pressure and velocity should suppress well, but still carry enough speed to not be range limited. I’ll build one someday.

What I have though is a 30-06, and that works well also. My can doesn’t get smoking hot after a string, and I also don’t lose enough to matter with the cut down barrel.

To me, the short suppressed guns are about the standard non-magnum calibers. Others obviously may differ. The 284 win always looked good too if you can find brass.

SwiftShot

WKR
For hunting with a short barrel that is a very interesting question. I am assuming you are reloading as you are trying to get the barrel to do the most at 18-inch barrel.

This is from a similar discussion I found, "308, 7-08 or 6.5 CM. In theory, the 308 will be the most efficient, the 6.5 the least, but you're really splitting hairs. Either the 7mm or 6.5mm will shoot bullets with better BCs that will still make up for the slightly slower muzzle velocity. Either of those will take the game you want to hunt well past 350 yards if you're good enough to make the shot.

The biggest negative to larger cartridges in short barrels is noise. Yes, they are less efficient. A 30-06 or 300 WM will lose more speed from a 20" barrel than a 308 from a 20" barrel compared to a 24" barrel. But the 30-06 or 300 WM from a 20" barrel is still going to be a lot faster than 308 regardless of barrel length. Ruger used to make a 16" barreled bolt gun in 300 WSM."

That being said the 7mm SAW is designed for heavy bullets and will pick up some of that loss with BC at range. I have been looking at this myself as I am going to be hammering Alaska in 4 years. I am going to be done with everything and just hunting and enjoying life. A lightweight suppressed hunting rifle for Sheep, Caribou, mule deer to elk is what I am looking for.

I also pulled up 338 Ruger Compact Magnum. In short, barrels is supposed to be really efficient.

Last edited:

LightFoot

WKR

Depends on the largest animal you hunt… and the maximum distance you will shoot.

Limiting to the biggest mule deer at 600 yards, 6.5 PRC.

Elk on the menu? 7mm short magnum of any flavor (SAUM, WSM, etc)

The 7 SAW seems pretty good all-round, just lower velocity than the magnums.

I’m not a gunwerks fan-boy, but so believe that make a good product and their math is right on cartridge selection.

There is a reason they build their 18” CLYMRs for 7mm SAUM and 6.5 PRC.

Good luck. With modern bullets, powders, and rangefinders, I don’t think you can make a bad choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sdogn8

FNG
I run a 20" 6.5 prc with 140 eld m at 2950. Can’t complain about that.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I always figured the 6.5x55 would be about ideal for a hand loader. Moderate pressure and velocity should suppress well, but still carry enough speed to not be range limited. I’ll build one someday.

What I have though is a 30-06, and that works well also. My can doesn’t get smoking hot after a string, and I also don’t lose enough to matter with the cut down barrel.

To me, the short suppressed guns are about the standard non-magnum calibers. Others obviously may differ. The 284 win always looked good too if you can find brass.
Suppressed 30-06 is awesome.

The real answer is that it doesn’t matter. Pick a bullet you want to shoot and decide how fast you want it to go for your needs.

It would be hard for me to justify bigger than a 223 or 6creed, but Ryan avery’s 16” 6UM +P would be sweet.