Ideal Elk Cartridge?

What is the ideal Elk Cartridge?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What's your build going to look like? What action, are you having nosler build it, etc?
I am using a Winchester action. It was originally a .338 WM that my uncle gave me but needed a new stock so decided to go further in depth with the rebuild and change calibers. Got a barrel being built

Nice. I'm sure you'll really like it when it's done!

My 35 Whelen AI was made on an M98 action, Shilen barrel, High Tech Specialties (now Banser) custom stock, Timney trigger, Gentry M70 style safety, lightweight bottom metal.

Another reason I voted for the 35 Whelen, it holds five in the magazine and one up the spout. In my 35 AI, six cartridges pushing a 200 grain TTSX at really good velocity with great accuracy leaves no question as long as I do my part. It's taken more than one shot on an elk on one occasion, but having more available is never a bad thing, IMO.

tdot

WKR
I haven't owned a short action bolt hunting rifle. Best I can tell it's a 1/2" difference in the action length based on these numbers from Winchester. Done some reading, and it's similar with other manufacturers as well.

Winchester XPR short action in 300 WSM w/24" bbl is listed at 44" overall length. 7.0 lbs listed weight.

Winchester XPR in 300 Win Mag is listed at 46.5" with 26" bbl. 7 lbs 4 oz listed weight with a 2" longer bbl.

Those numbers don't seem to lend a significant advantage either in weight or handiness?

The difference in length of a Rem700 footprint action is a little longer, roughly 3/4"-7/8", I don't remember exactly. Still not huge, but it's a start, combine that with the shorter barrel and suddenly you're looking at a considerably shorter rifle. With muzzle brakes, my rifles are all under 42". My previous 300wm was 49", or a 7" difference. At 42" the crown of my barrel is below the top of my head, when it's attached to my gunbearer, a typical 300wm is 6" over my head = a nightmare in tight brush. The balance is also improved with a shorter rifle plus the bolt throw is shorter, which is a personal thing, but I can rack another round without my eye breaking from the sight picture thru the scope with a Short Action. I can't do that with a long action.

None of these are major differences, but collectively they add up (along with some other reasobs), for me, and make a short action more desirable then a long action.

I've killed many with my .308 (165gr. accubond) one of the most prolific cartridges on Earth not even on the list.

Same. I usually shoot a 535 grn arrow so I was more than impressed by the work of my .308 with 165 grn accubonds. I would considerate if you are used to getting close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're correct it's 7/8 on the Remington action between long and short.

You're really happy with what you have, and I can't complain about what I have either, that's what it's all about for sure.

The above 28 Nosler load, that is a laser line trajectory out to a long ways. Haven't had experience with the Berger bullets on game. I gather they are designed for where the shot distance is going to be long with respect to terminal performance? Probably a silly question, it goes without saying that's the kind of rifle you were having built, for long distances.

Shad71

WKR
My favorite elk cartridge the 358 Norma Mag isn't listed. Of the ones you have listed 2 stand out to me the 35 Whelen is a great elk cartridge inside 350ish yards with proper bullet selection. Then there is the 338 Win Mag another great elk cartridge if you can tolerate Magnum recoil a lot of people can't shoot magnums accurately so they should stay with something with less recoil that they can shoot...

Last edited:
OP
C

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
Mine favorite elk cartridge the 358 Norma Mag isn't listed. Of the ones you have listed 2 stand out to me the 35 Whelen is a great elk cartridge inside 350ish yards with proper bullet selection. Then there is the 338 Win Mag another great elk cartridge if you can tolerate Magnum recoil a lot of people can't shoot magnums accurately so they should stay with something with less recoil that they can shoot...
Handling magnum recoil isnt the cartridges fault....

Its usually an improper fit, rifle, improper eye relief, or too lightweight of a rifle.

A rifle of proper weight, proper stock fit, proper scope with good eye relief.

Now if your hunting in mountains and shoot an ultra-light rifle you should use a muzzlebreak....

I had a 7mm-08 in a 6 lb rifle that was dead to nuts accurate but that lightweight rifle with stubby barrel made it kick like a mule.

Thats why I like the 7mm tem mag and 300 wsm/win mag.

Extra punch and in a moderate weight rifle the recoil is nothing special.

Its usually an improper fit, rifle, improper eye relief, or too lightweight of a rifle.

Now if your hunting in mountains and shoot an ultra-light rifle you should use a muzzlebreak....

I had a 7mm-08 in a 6 lb rifle that was dead to nuts accurate but that lightweight rifle with stubby barrel made it kick like a mule.

^^^^ Agree my 375 H&H is a heck of lot easier on the shoulder than my 6# 358 win.....^^^^

I built my 7mm RM (no break with proper stock and weight) It is a dream to shoot. Laser beam flat and no more recoil than a 270. Thats why its always a #1 pick for me!

Shad71

WKR

I agree about a proper fitting stock it can and will turn a rifle into a dream piece. That's why most of my go-to hunting & LR rifles are customs. Live and learn 🍻

Shad71

WKR
^^^^ Agree my 375 H&H is a heck of lot easier on the shoulder than my 6# 358 win.....^^^^

I built my 7mm RM (no break with proper stock and weight) It is a dream to shoot. Laser beam flat and no more recoil than a 270. Thats why its always a #1 pick for me!
Yes my 375 h&h recoils noticely less than any of my 300 Mags w/o brakes installed. More of a shove than a sharp jab.

Same. I usually shoot a 535 grn arrow so I was more than impressed by the work of my .308 with 165 grn accubonds. I would considerate if you are used to getting close.

Glad someone mentioned this. I won a 308 at an auction (reality was I bought almost all the tickets and scored it for $300). Was hoping its my gun for whitetail to elk (when i get to hunt elk one day) and black bears. When i didnt see it on the voting list i got nervous

Put a muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag 30 yrs ago.

Stupidest thing I have ever done with a rifle mod. Noise level, scope wear and tear, all at a ridiculous level. 2 years later sold that rifle, bought another 300 Win and left it alone.

No one "should" use or need a muzzle brake on a good fitting rifle. What has this come to that a super light rifle with a brake is the answer vs carrying an extra pound of weight!

Lightweight has it's limits, IMO, when a 7mm-08 is built too light for the recoil to be handled and needs a brake to be usable (!).

sgailey

FNG
No issues with my 6.5! Shoots lights out with 143 grain eldx loads.

OP
C

corey006

Lil-Rokslider

While I shoot the ELD-X and its a great long range bullet....I would use on Deer at close range but NEVER Elk or Moose.

The lead isnt bonded to the jacket and on a heavy bone hit it can completely come apart....

6.5 CM is a marginal cartridge at best when it comes to Elk.

Shoots lights out with respect to terminal performance on an animal or with respect to accuracy, or both? What velocity are you pushing that at?