Ideal Magnification Range - sub 1000

slowelk

WKR
Higher magnification comes at a cost, FOV and the ability to stay on target specifically. A Hubble telescope will not make you or your rifle more accurate or deadly. You may find the opposite.

I didn't say there weren't tradeoffs. I said using what military snipers used to do was an outdated measure for what should be recommended.

mmw194287

WKR
I know this has been mentioned before, but there's something to be said for the ability to zoom in to confirm target ID, and then zoom back out a bit to take the shot with a wider FOV.

At least for me, it can be tough to tell two bucks or two bulls apart at 600-700 yards, or closer depending on conditions, at 10x (especially if we're talking antelope).

If I've got them feeding on the opposite hillside and confirm that there's one worth shooting in my spotter, I like having that 20x to double check that I'm on the right animal before shooting at 10 or 12x.

IDMONK

FNG
I know this has been mentioned before, but there's something to be said for the ability to zoom in to confirm target ID, and then zoom back out a bit to take the shot with a wider FOV.

At least for me, it can be tough to tell two bucks or two bulls apart at 600-700 yards, or closer depending on conditions, at 10x (especially if we're talking antelope).

If I've got them feeding on the opposite hillside and confirm that there's one worth shooting in my spotter, I like having that 20x to double check that I'm on the right animal before shooting at 10 or 12x.
I guess I use a spotter for that. A 20X scope won’t have the FOV of a lower max powered scope apples to apples on the same power. But hey, if it works for you than awesome. Just my opinion a lot of hunters are way over powered, and could take more game using a more versatile scope. I know that’s not what is popular right now, but I think crazy high powered scopes on hunting rifles is a fad.