Ideal muzzleloader scope

12ring

FNG
What scope (brand/model/magnification) would you put on top of your .50 muzzleloader given regulations that you can put a scope of any magnification on your smokepole- planned shots out to approx. 250 yds?

Thanks.

What scope (brand/model/magnification) would you put on top of your .50 muzzleloader given regulations that you can put a scope of any magnification on your smokepole- planned shots out to approx. 250 yds?

Thanks.

The U-Slam is certainly a good scope but I would recommend the Redfield Revenge 3x9x42 with Accru-ranger reticule. This reticule can be used as range finder and still offers pins for different ranges to the animal

th

th

The glass is really good and bright!

Here is a video that might interest you...

redfield revenge - Bing video

my TC Triumph has a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 on it. i mounted it on there 6 years ago and it's been solid. i'm certainly not shooting 250 yards like you're wanting to do but for out to 150 it works for me.

bonehunts

FNG
I've used a Nikon Omega BDC for years and it's helped me knock down a muley at 190 yards with no issue on my 50 cal.

Mine will be running a 3-15 Burris XTR2 this year and next year I'll hopefully put a Sightron STAC 4-20 on it. You certainly don't need 20x magnification but it sure is nice to see exactly where you're aiming when you break the trigger.

OP
12ring

12ring

FNG
It's my son's hunt, it will be the last weekend of September- it's sighted in open/iron sights, but I may try to get a scope on it the next week or so.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I might have mine tested and on by then. But if I were you I'd definitely mount a scope. For 90% of shooters, scopes will outperform open sights.

I might have mine tested and on by then. But if I were you I'd definitely mount a scope. For 90% of shooters, scopes will outperform open sights.

for anyone that might be interested in the Vortex line of scope - I believe there is a healthy discount to Vets - but I do not remember exactly how the program works but I would think you could find it online.

I can't say that I have shot it much but I researched muzzle loader scopes a couple of months ago. I started with the Nikon and Leopold muzzle loading model. After trolling the muzzle loader forums a while I ended up with a bushel elite 3500 based on some feedback there. So far very happy with it for $300.

I can't say that I have shot it much but I researched muzzle loader scopes a couple of months ago. I started with the Nikon and Leopold muzzle loading model. After trolling the muzzle loader forums a while I ended up with a bushel elite 3500 based on some feedback there. So far very happy with it for $300.

I use several of the older Elite 3200 - they are and have been a very good scope for me also.

Is a BDC type scope worth it for a muzzleloader? With the variation in loads how are they actually accurate? With the new Utah rule (which I think is BS) I will put a scope on my wife's gun next year, she has bad eyes. I would like a 1.5 or 2 power on the low end and whatever on the high end. I would not let her shoot over 150-200 yards.

I bought my muzzle loader - a Thompson strike - for white tails in PA. Dense woods. I don't expect shots more than 200 and more likely 100 and under. I got the bushnell in 3x9 with DOA reticle zeroed at 100. It is tolerably accurate using the hold over for 200. 2-3 inches low. Decent groups. I haven't had it on a range to test anything beyond that. I am not a load / reloading wizard. Barnes expander MZ and a couple pellets of 777. Without stepping up to a 3 pellet charge and finding a bullet the gun really liked, I don't think I would care to take a shot beyond 200. For basic hunting and given the range limitations I would feel comfortable with I think a BSc reticle gets it done. It is better than a basic crosshair. I wouldn't care to have to fiddle with turrets for that close a shot.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Is a BDC type scope worth it for a muzzleloader? With the variation in loads how are they actually accurate? With the new Utah rule (which I think is BS) I will put a scope on my wife's gun next year, she has bad eyes. I would like a 1.5 or 2 power on the low end and whatever on the high end. I would not let her shoot over 150-200 yards.

I will be answering that exact question in the blog series. I can tell you on a preliminary basis to your question, "Yes, BDC type is worth it". With the arc of a muzzleloader as it is, compared to a centerfire, BDC might even be more applicable.

I've had a Vortex Diamondback 4-16x42 with BDC on my Thompson Center Pro Hunter for a few years now, and it has performed flawlessly. Great value with a nice price tag.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Chuckeglenn did you use the Vortex calculator to sight in your hash marks? Did it work? What yardages did they end up at? I'm working on mine but my scope isn't listed on the calculator so some guesswork involved. Thanks!

I have to confess... 9 out 10 of my ML scopes have some form of Ballistic Reticule in them - How often do I use them? Well almost never!

The B Reticule is designed to used on the strongest power you have on your scope to make the drops match. Very seldom do I ever even use 9X. Reason I live and hunt in Northern Idaho, it is not very flat around here. Because of that I limit my shots to around 200 yards +.

Since I have this limited range I choose to sight my rifles in with what is called a PBR. With the PBR I set it up with what is called a 6" PBR - meaning within a given range I can shoot the max distance and never be greater than 3" high or lower than 3". With this I can normally shoot anywhere from 0 yards to 175/80 aiming directly on the target. Since I know the way the rifle is designed to shoot at 200+ yards I will resort to using the first line under the cross hair laying on top of the back and know that the shot will be down approximately 6" from the Point of aim.

This ballistic sheet shows the information. If you look at the information on the sheet you will find the PBR information listed. Also look at the 100 yard details. Using a 6" PBR most often you will be around 3" high at 100 yards. As the sheet indicates with this bullet and load I can shoot to 196 yards and be within my PBR.

Granted 200+ yards is really not long range but for myself shooting elk I will hang in this area.

Rope14u

Lil-Rokslider
Robby, do yourself a favor and download the ballistic calculator strelok to your phone. You can choose your exact reticle and after entering your load info it's scary accurate. I've made 300 yard target hits with my omega (too far for critters imo). The free version is nice. The paid for version adjusts distance in your reticle when you adjust scope magnification. I'm also a fan of the Vortex line of scopes because of the windage hashmarks. It doesn't take much wind with those giant bullets to start moving things left and right. The 2 MOA spread gives you a good reference point without making the reticle too cluttered. Here's an example of one of my loads.

IMG_0751.jpg

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
this is a great thread. Rope, I'll check that out and Sabotloader, I like the concept. In the mean time, I just finished shooting the new Vortex Razor with the G4 reticle and BDC system.

The LRBC got it fairy close, but I did have to tweek it.

Here the video from the Rok Blog in case you missed it.
[video=youtube_share;n1eRRYum3GE]http://youtu.be/n1eRRYum3GE[/video]