Ideal rifle weight - Long range backpack rifle

Jskmtd

FNG
My pack rifle a 338 Lapua AI will be a few ounces one side or the other of 11 lbs with bipod ready to go. Still waiting on the stock so I'm not exactly sure. This is 2 lbs lighter than my 300 win mag that I have been backpacking with. I'm hoping I can still spot my shots with the new 338.

Any idea how much that stock weighs? I want both the ACRA mount and picitanny rail like you have.

Thinking about replacing my MPA BA lite chassis with one. The BA lite has an advertised weight of 2.9 lbs. I threw it on the scale last night and found out it really weighs 3.75 lbs.:confused:

OP
B

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
Mine weights 36.8oz on my scale. I'm not sure how much of that is the aluminum that's bonded into the stock to serve as footings for the arca and pic rail, and how much of that is devcon

OP
B

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
While I'm here, I figured I'd give a quick review of the rifle.

APR Action: I really like this action, no its not a $1500 top of the line, but it blows any trued up remmy out of the water. Action is silky smooth, but prefers to be mag loaded. The way the partial CRF works, it requires some extra force to get the extractor over the case rim when you just toss one in the chamber. The mag is fairly long (haven't measured it yet). The action works exactly like it should in all other aspects.

AG Composites stock: Love it, only way to make it better would be to figure out how to make it truly straight line.

TT Trigger: Not sure I'm a fan of the lack of any hint of overtravel at all. I'm used to timney... If you've not tried a triggertech, just trust me, it's different. I need to shoot it more to form an educated opinion.

APR gunsmiths: While I'm sure there's lots of smiths out there that can build a rifle that is just as capable, I'm impressed with the customer service and build quality. When the rifle was originally complete, APR called me to say they weren't satisfied with the ceracote job, or the DLC coating on the bolt. They offered to fix it outright, or I could come look at it to decide for myself. They had it fixed in 3 days at no charge to me. After removing and replacing the muzzle brake, I still can't accurately find the pantie line, and the bedding job looks perfect.

Initial accuracy: Using factory ammo only (starting load development soon) the worst 3 shot group I saw was just under MOA with a variety of ammo, from PPU $12 a box to $70 a box nosler. 10 shot group with Berger loaded 215's was right at 4.7" at 500yds (rested over a pack, with more wind than I care to admit, and the world's okayest shooter behind the trigger). Color me impressed. Can't wait to see what this rifle can do with handloads