Ideal rifle weight - Long range backpack rifle

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
I built a 6.5x284 thats 7lbs loaded, its not real fun to shoot. Its an honest 500 yard rifle with me pulling the trigger. Heavy rifles are just easier to shoot better. As a PRS shooter you know the importance of watching your bullet impact, which is big for me, and its not possible with my lightweight rifle in the least bit. I like the 9.5-10lb range, thats without a bipod.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
For me it’s not just raw weight, but where the weight is. I have a Kimber 7wsm that’s 8 and some change all up. All the weight is right between my hands. The barrel is light. The rifle doesn’t hold well for me. Offhand I’m horrid, rested solid I do pretty good.
I’m now building a 9.5-ish pound 7rem with a magnum sporter barrel. Something like most outfits #3 or 4 contours.
To me the added barrel weight is very helpfull. It helps with recoil and with a steady hold, as well as not being so finicky with how you hold the rifle.

My primary hunting rifle is a custom built 7LRM on a Remington 700 action, 26” proof sendero light barrel, 24oz carbon fiber aluminum pillar bedded stock with a titanium muzzle brake and polymer magpul bottom metal. Topped with a Vortex viper pst gen is 5-25x50mm scope it weights 8.5lbs. With a bipod and full mag she’s just over 9lbs. For me this is the perfect weight. However, she has to be held down when shooting. I’m a comp shooter myself and usually shoot free recoil. This gun I literally have to pull this thing to the ground to get solid consistent accuracy at long range.

34767f4ed865cb8e0dd67a36291b4930.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built a 280 Ackley for this purpose, came in at 9.3 pounds ready to hunt with a Harris bipod. TL Technologies action, 24 inch proof light sendero, McMillan edge A3 Sporter stock, aluminum PTG BDL bottom metal, topped with vortex PMR rings and a 3.6-18x44 Leupold Mark 5.

excaliber

WKR
I'll give you an example of my setup and the build specs and weight just to give you an idea on a 300 Win Mag setup. I have a semi custom Rem 700 BDL in 300 Win Mag. With a Bartlein #3 barrel at 26" and brake, HS Precision stock, Leupold scope, and sling the gun weighs 9-3/4 lbs.

It shoots lights out but I want it to be lighter. I wonder how that will affect how it shoots. I'm looking to go to a McMillan hunters edge stock to lose about 12 ounces but that's just going to lure me into a nicer heavier scope.

If I didn't have the action already on a donor rifle I would have went with something like an ultralight Defiance Hunter action. It just depends on what you will be happy with. I'd like a lighter rifle but a 300 Win Mag even with a brake has some recoil for sure especially when shooting heavy bullets at over 2970' fps.

Keep us posted as I'm interested in what you decide to build.

Swampr42

FNG
My primary hunting rifle is a custom built 7LRM on a Remington 700 action, 26” proof sendero light barrel, 24oz carbon fiber aluminum pillar bedded stock with a titanium muzzle brake and polymer magpul bottom metal. Topped with a Vortex viper pst gen is 5-25x50mm scope it weights 8.5lbs. With a bipod and full mag she’s just over 9lbs. For me this is the perfect weight. However, she has to be held down when shooting. I’m a comp shooter myself and usually shoot free recoil. This gun I literally have to pull this thing to the ground to get solid consistent accuracy at long range.

34767f4ed865cb8e0dd67a36291b4930.jpg

That gun looks awesome! Love the colors.

OP
B

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
Quick update for those interested in what I’m planning to go with.

Since Alamo Precision is spitting distance from my house, I’m going to go with them as the builder, with their “hunter” action.

APR Action
AG Composites Alpine hunter stock
26” 1-9twist 300WM
Triggertech trigger

I’m torn between a carbon barrel and a steel one - should put total weight around 6.5 or 7.5 respectively. I’m pretty sure I’m going to go with an NXS on top, unless one of my buddies can talk me into a SWFA for less money. I’m thinking scoped and loaded will come out at 8.5lbs for the carbon barrel, or 9.5lbs for the steel one. Unless I’ve messed up the math somewhere

Quick update for those interested in what I’m planning to go with.

Since Alamo Precision is spitting distance from my house, I’m going to go with them as the builder, with their “hunter” action.

APR Action
AG Composites Alpine hunter stock
26” 1-9twist 300WM
Triggertech trigger

I’m torn between a carbon barrel and a steel one - should put total weight around 6.5 or 7.5 respectively. I’m pretty sure I’m going to go with an NXS on top, unless one of my buddies can talk me into a SWFA for less money. I’m thinking scoped and loaded will come out at 8.5lbs for the carbon barrel, or 9.5lbs for the steel one. Unless I’ve messed up the math somewhere

How much are you figuring in Barrel weight?

I just weighed a 26” finish, heavy hunter carbon contour in 30 Nosler yesterday at 2 lbs 13 oz. that’s chambered/threaded for a brake. Not a bad weight on a heavy carbon contour.

OP
B

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
I’m ballparking 2.5lbs for carbon, and 3.5 for steel

Looks like I’m a few ounces shy of what I should be counting for

HUNTER100

Lil-Rokslider
Excited for you man. Keep us updated on the build! I been looking awful hard at APR rifles myself lately

Mine is 13.5 lbs loaded. I love it for getting steady. It's a savage .338 lapua, in the HS precision stock, atlas bipod, and a leupold LRP.
cde5652b2ced3e9b00f08870a5d18fb7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jardo

WKR
Here’s my 300 win mag. I went with the zeiss v6. Happy with it so far. She loves 215 gr Berger’s over H1000...

Weighs just over 10.5 lbs without the bipod.

07e6f6f382b37852eeaa148797fc830f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably just depends on how big and or steep the mountains are. If I'm rock climbing in this crap I want a 6lb rifle slipping around. IMG_1156.JPG

But if I'm stacking meat for the freezer with not much elevation change and don't want to catch a shoulder 9lbs is a lot betterIMG_1163.JPG

OP
B

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
Pulled the trigger on a build. For those that are paying attention to a couple of other threads on this forum, I also happen to be on TBH, and the deal was too close to what I wanted to pass up. Here’s what the build sheet looks like:

Apr hunter action, cerakoted midnight bronze
Triggertech special trigger
Apr bdl bottom metal
AG composites alpine hunter stock, cerakoted APR midnight forest hunter (I think? It looked cool in the shop)
Proof sendero 26” 1-10 twist 300WM throated for 215 Berger’s
Gill style muzzle brake

I’ll update this thread with a completed picture (and groups) hopefully May-June time frame.

I really appreciate all of the help you guys provided!

archp625

WKR
Being able to see your own bullet trace and impact is important to me. I can't do that on a 9lb 7 mag without a brake. With a 300 class you probably need to be a 9.5 to 10 with a good brake.

An 8.5-10 lb rifle I think is in the sweet spot of being light enough to backpack, but heavy enough to shoot well and see bullet trace and impact.

I read this comment and it got me thinking. I shoot a 10 lb 300 WM. I never can follow my shot. Am I using to high of power (15X) or is it my technique? My max range is 500 yards so far.

I read this comment and it got me thinking. I shoot a 10 lb 300 WM. I never can follow my shot. Am I using to high of power (15X) or is it my technique? My max range is 500 yards so far.

My experience with a 9.5 lb WM with effective brake (Hellfire) is I need to be very square behind the rifle and put a healthy load into the bipod to spot impacts well at 500 yards. The closer the more difficult it gets.