Ideal rifle weight - Long range backpack rifle

I read this comment and it got me thinking. I shoot a 10 lb 300 WM. I never can follow my shot. Am I using to high of power (15X) or is it my technique? My max range is 500 yards so far.

Stock design plays a hugely underestimated role in this as well. I can spot hits all day at 300 yards with a 10.5 lb .338 Norma Improved. Some stocks make it damn near impossible though.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

archp625

WKR
Stock design plays a hugely underestimated role in this as well. I can spot hits all day at 300 yards with a 10.5 lb .338 Norma Improved. Some stocks make it damn near impossible though.

Mike

What hunting bipod do you recommend for proper loading?

What hunting bipod do you recommend for proper loading?

Atlas, Harris with aftermarket feet, or the Javelin does a good job as well. The EOL Carbon bipod I didn't care for, well made and easy to adjust but it was almost too rigid and allowed zero preloading.

Mike

archp625

WKR
Atlas, Harris with aftermarket feet, or the Javelin does a good job as well. The EOL Carbon bipod I didn't care for, well made and easy to adjust but it was almost too rigid and allowed zero preloading.

Mike
Thanks Hells Canyon, By the way went on your website and looked around. One of these days I'm going to build a custom gun. Your barrels look top notch.

Mike

What makes a good stock design, in your opinon?

OP
B

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
The closer to straight line (bore in line with the center of recoil pad) a stock is the less off target the gun will move under recoil. Assuming perfect shooting position/form with a theoretically perfect stock, the rifle should move in a straight line rearwards, and not deviate from the POA.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Pulled the trigger on a build. For those that are paying attention to a couple of other threads on this forum, I also happen to be on TBH, and the deal was too close to what I wanted to pass up. Here’s what the build sheet looks like:

Apr hunter action, cerakoted midnight bronze
Triggertech special trigger
Apr bdl bottom metal
AG composites alpine hunter stock, cerakoted APR midnight forest hunter (I think? It looked cool in the shop)
Proof sendero 26” 1-10 twist 300WM throated for 215 Berger’s
Gill style muzzle brake

I’ll update this thread with a completed picture (and groups) hopefully May-June time frame.

I really appreciate all of the help you guys provided!

Guessing you got in on the TBH special? Hell of a deal, I strongly considered putting a deposit down on a Tier 2 in 300WM and begging for forgiveness from the wife later. Hopefully they run a comparable group buy again next year!

Also, good to see folks from (or in the vicinity of) Hurst on here, I grew up a couple miles north of their shop.

OP
B

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
Guessing you got in on the TBH special? Hell of a deal, I strongly considered putting a deposit down on a Tier 2 in 300WM and begging for forgiveness from the wife later. Hopefully they run a comparable group buy again next year!

Also, good to see folks from (or in the vicinity of) Hurst on here, I grew up a couple miles north of their shop.
Yeah, I did. It was just too darn close to what I wanted.

I’m up in North Fort Worth, but I literally drive past their shop everyday on the way to work.

Rumor is next year is going to be big boomers (cheytac size and up). I really don’t have a reason to be interested in that type of rifle, but I usually don’t have good reasons for firearm purchases anyway lol

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider

I’m up in North Fort Worth, but I literally drive past their shop everyday on the way to work.

Rumor is next year is going to be big boomers (cheytac size and up). I really don’t have a reason to be interested in that type of rifle, but I usually don’t have good reasons for firearm purchases anyway lol

Ah man, that's a shame. While I probably don't need another rifle, I really don't need a rifle chambered in $5 bills. .300WM (or potentially .300 PRC if 3rd party brass supply shows up) is as big as I'll ever need.

I live in south ft worth. Drive past their shop daily as well. Very nice guys.

6.5x284

WKR
My 6.5 SAUM is built on a Ti LPA action, carbon barrel, carbon stock, and Zeiss V6 3-18x50 in Hawkins rings. 8.52 lbs with ammo and Javelin bipod stud ready to hunt. It's a tack driver, and I have no issues shooting it comfortably to 1200 yards. Many friends have got behind it and made rocks into sand pretty quick with minimal coaching. I think the stock design (vertical grip, check rest at correct height) plays a lot bigger role in long range shooting than the weight.

Article 4

WKR
I have experience in this area, both practical application and through extensive research. I agree with much of what Hells Canyon recommends.

IMO - the barrel is the primary factor. #2 or similar contours can be accurate and are also more susceptible to the environment and POI shift, especially in significant temperature and humidity changes. All other things remaining the same, dont scrimp on your barrel. Steel #4 fluted - or CF sendero. Make the shot count.

For me, the ideal rifle weight for a magnum caliber, including glass, is in the 10 lb range. At that weight we combine outstanding accuracy parameters which can be counted on for repeatable performance, in any environment, and is less susceptible to climate changes.

Last edited:

Broz

WKR
I think I have a pretty good set up here. McMillan Game Hunter, Lone Peak Titanium Action, Christensen Arms 28" barrel in 9 twist, CA Side port Titanium Brake, Nightforce 5-25 ATACR. Sends 215 Bergers at 3100 and has about 3 dozen elk under its belt already. 10 lbs 0 .2 oz.54514927_2388130041218376_4007056890616872960_n.jpg

Last edited:

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Does having a fairly light rifle with a heavy scope change anything? Does bare rifle weight matter more than scoped weight or is having the total weight with the scope the only weight that matters? I guess what I’m asking is if recoil and stability would be different in a 7lb rifle with a 3lb scope vs a 9lb rifle with a 1lb scope. They’re both 10lbs, just with differently distributed weights.

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
I thought i was running a fairly light setup prior to reading through these comments. All told my 28N is 10.5# loaded with terminator brake, scope, and atlas bipod. I could shave a little weight off it by swapping my fluted #5 to a carbon, lighter bipod and lighter scope but i've taken my current setup out past 1800 yards with decent success so ill pack the extra weight.