Ideal Scope Specifications for Long Range

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think that specifications and features sometimes get lost in the debate for which optic to choose. If you are a dedicated long range shooter (out to say 1,200 yards) and looking to buy a new optic, what features, or specific specifications, would you look for? Perhaps you bought a scope and wished it had something more, just whatever you have learned over the years that would help guide your next decision. Thanks!!

FFP, SFP, Reticle, Ideal Magnification vs fixed, Objective, Field of View, anti cant, clarity/resolution, eye relief, Parallax, turret style, 1" vs. 30m vs 34mm tube, etc????

1200y plus? Then TRACKING period.

When you give it 35.5 MOA or 43 MOA you need to know that is exactly what you got. All of the other things are a very distant second place. Yes magnification and tube diameter and FOV matter... but they matter much much less than you getting exactly the elevation and windage that you asked for.

Glass quality, tracking repeatability, FFP, overall build quality and durability.

For backpack hunting, the scope that I chose was the Kahles 624i. It provides good long range capability at a reasonable weight.

For long range shooting where I don't care about weight, I got the IOR Crusader. Best long range scope on the market, but Heavy.