Ideas for a new Mountain Hunting Tripod?

300mag

I have a ats 65hd spotter, do a few mountain hunts each year(sheep and goat). Looking for some ideas on which tripod to purchase? Lightweight is important but also sturdiness just as important. What do you use? Thanks

muleman

Well Known Rokslider
I use a bigger than average carbon fiber Manfrotto 190CXPro3 and love it for big glass. It weighs 2.8#. This is my third season using it. It is around $265 shipped. You'll have to get a head if you don't have one.

There is also a similar aluminum Manfrotto 190ProB3 that weighs 4# for $145 shipped.

Aron Snyder

Rokslide Sponsor
I'm running the Gitzo Mountaineer right now (Like the one listed above). If you have the $ that's a great choice, but for the budget minded, the Slik 624 is hard to beat.

The center column adjustment is WAY better on the GITZ and the quick release legs are a big advantage as well.

Stinky Coyote

Well Known Rokslider
Man at $344 that gitz is an awesome deal...I would have seriously contemplated that over my 634 modded to sitting height.

For the slik 634 at $259 u can get it just as light by modding it to sitting height only as it's tall enough for standing height. Take off center column extension and bottom legs, and strip the foam off the two upper legs and it's a svelt 25.5 oz or exactly same weight as the gitz at 1.6 lb. Pretty sweet for the money, the gitz also sweet for money...both be awesome choices depending on budget.

Last edited:

greyghostnw

Well Known Rokslider
outdoorsman medium tripod and pan head. new to me this year but seems strong with light weight as a bonus to this system, not to mention the bino adapter is awesome......

Stinky Coyote

Well Known Rokslider
Just a heads up, amazon has the same tripod but with a 150 dollar rebate instead of 125. 320 bucks seems like a good price

joe

Only 60 bucks more than the slik 634 and 80 more than 624, that's amazing....that's the tripod to get for the op! Or anyone shopping right now IMO! I do love my slik but pretty sure I'd love a gitzo for only 60 bucks more. Crazy, used to see those gitzo at 800 bucks, maybe notnthat model but never heard of one for that kind of money.