Ideas for Building New Arrows

Steve1662

FNG
"Novice to arrows and shooting..."

Stick with something common and durable; Gold Tip GT Hunter, .300, 50 gr insert, 100 gr head, 3 fletch, go kill stuff.
Great advice. Unless its more about the tinkering then just buy a few of each X product and figure out what works for you and allows you to confidently put meat in the freezer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wayoh22

WKR
If you're just "considering" a new arrow, I'd ask the question of WHY you want to change. What's the end goal?

More speed? More FOC?

Without a why, what's the purpose? Otherwise, you're just asking for everyone to spit out an arrow setup that will kill and elk in which there are countless setups that can do that.

TheTone

WKR
If I were to go with a different arrow than what I’m currently shooting it’d be this exact set up and I’m the same exact specs as you 27/70.

Easton Axis Match 340 cut to 27”
50gr brass insert
Iron Will aluminum collar
100gr head
4”wrap
4 fletched w/ AAE Hybrid 23s
Standard X nock.

This would put you at roughly 460-475 TAO.
Where you you make the cutoff on this setup to go to a 300 spine? I’d be shooting them cut at about 28” at 65-68 lbs. Stick with the 340?

OR Archer

WKR
Where you you make the cutoff on this setup to go to a 300 spine? I’d be shooting them cut at about 28” at 65-68 lbs. Stick with the 340?
Besides the obvious spec determinations it just comes down to experience in knowing what will and won’t tune with a particular bow. I’ve had my hands on lots of different bow and arrow configurations over the years now that I know if it’ll work or not. Always err on the side of caution and spine up if you are on the edge however.

If he shoots his current arrow of 526 I would put him in the low 240s at 27/70.

Yeah, 230's might have been rough on it, but depending on peep and a few other factors, I still think it might be in the area.

A speed bow would struggle to hit the 250's with those numbers. Now if it's heavy say 74#, it might get closer.

TheTone

WKR
Besides the obvious spec determinations it just comes down to experience in knowing what will and won’t tune with a particular bow. I’ve had my hands on lots of different bow and arrow configurations over the years now that I know if it’ll work or not. Always err on the side of caution and spine up if you are on the edge however.
Thanks! I’m planning to set up a couple different axis configurations this year to play with and see what works out best

OP
CCooper

CCooper

WKR
I hope to find time to get to the shop today and get the new bow setup and tuned. I will shoot it through there chrono with my current 526 gr setup and report back with speeds.

OP
CCooper

CCooper

WKR
To the OP, Is your bow set at 70#? Or cranked all the way down? If it’s bottomed out typically you’ll have more than 70# draw weight. That will help your fps numbers as well
I will probably have them crank it all the way down.

Caleb777

FNG
If they crank it all the way down you’ll likely be a few lbs heavier than 70. That’ll play in your favor greatly!

Could be, I didn't look up what the rx-7 ultra is claiming. Just knowing several guys with that draw and helping them with a few different arrow weights, seems 230-240 range to me.

175 grains past 350 is cutting it down close 60 fps, then another 30 for the 3" shorter draw.

Unless those cams are really efficient with heavy weight arrows.
Looks like I overestimated and you were spot on 🙇‍♂️

Zac

WKR
If I were to go with a different arrow than what I’m currently shooting it’d be this exact set up and I’m the same exact specs as you 27/70.

Easton Axis Match 340 cut to 27”
50gr brass insert
Iron Will aluminum collar
100gr head
4”wrap
4 fletched w/ AAE Hybrid 23s
Standard X nock.

This would put you at roughly 460-475 TAO.
27 inch draw huh? Do you happen to really like working out, and have a YouTube channel about elk hunting?

OP
CCooper

CCooper

WKR
Did you scale it by chance?
I didn't catch the final draw weight- I will be back there next week most likely and get it verified. The last two sets of GAS strings I've bought have "settled" after a week or so causing the peep to rotate and need retied.