Ideas for hunting with my dad

dwils233

FNG
My dad still gets out in the field every year at 78 years old and I'm finally in a place where I can afford to take him on a nice trip. I'm looking for ideas that would fall within the following parameters:
- $6k ish for both of us....tags and travel can go over a bit
-western big game or free range exotic
- something an older guy can handle (not super vertical/technical or super long range shooting)
- easy draw/trespass/otc
-drop camp/diy/semiguided at most
-either good opportunity to see game or take for a quality (but not trophy) animal OR a quality meat hunt
Thanks for any tips or insight. Ive been researching but seem to be looking for a unicorn trip. Really trying to give him a unique and memorable trip to thank him for everything he's taught me. Was looking at kodiak by boat but between cost and population being down, I'm probably ruling it out. I want otc or similar so we can get it done in the next year or two. We both prefer open country to heavy timber if that means anything Thanks!

mlob1one

WKR
A great antelope hunt should be accomplished for that price and it wouldn't be the most difficult of terrains. Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado all could be done for around $6k if you do a bit of looking.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
I did a New Mexico elk hunt with my dad that fit this bill. Feel free to send me a pm.

Chad E

WKR
Id look at wyoming antelope. Either tresspass fee or guided type hunt in a zero point unit would fit the bill. You might be able to find a ranch style deer hunt in that ballpark as well but I think antelope is a sure bet.

Elk97

WKR
Good for you for trying to get this done soon, ya never know. Can't help much with suggestions, don't know anything about guided hunts. Good luck!

Look into oryx in NM. It’s an extremely cool animal and everyone should go on an oryx hunt.

Rich M

WKR
I took my 80 yo father on a prairie Mule deer hunt 2019. Been driving him to deer stands this year, he's having fun.

He said no more long trips but then asks when I'm doing this or that.

Ask your dad what he wants to do. Antelope is a lot of fun, and you both can hunt and such for less than 6k.