Ideas for single piece construction leather boots

So I spent a couple days in the rain last week with very wet and cold feet and am on the hunt for a new pair of boots. I currently own several pairs of Crispis (Thor Gen2, Dakota, Briksdahl Gen1) and the fit and feel is fantastic on all of them. All of these boots are GoreTex and all of them have a non-waterproof tongue (don't even get me started on the logic of that). Never had any issues with wet feet before but it has nearly always been dry for my archery hunts. Even with properly worn Gaiters, my feet were wet this season...the issue comes not from getting rained on but hiking in wet vegetation...eventually wicking water makes it to the tongue of the boot and things go down hill quickly.

My options as I see them are to select a one piece construction leather boot that includes a leather tongue, or find one with full GoreTex liner including the tongue even if its synthetic. I am aware of the challenges of gore tex liners breaking down over time and also have reasonable expectations that my feet will occasionally be damp/wet in very wet conditions...but what I experienced this season was rapid and repeated wetting beyond what one would expect from a GoreTex boot.

Anyone have any recommendations on boots they love with a reputation for consistently staying dry inside when its wet outside? . My feet run narrow with a high arch...Crispis have consistently fit fantastic out of the box with a high volume insert. These are going to be primarily used for archery hunts...not currently considering a full 10" boot or boots with a full Mountaineering build. Weight will be a factor in my decision so probably Mtn Extremes aren't in the cards. Definitely will look at mid-high models.

Things I'm aware of that might work:

Hanwag Alaska (seem heavy, mixed reviews on support/warranty)
Crispi Nevada Legend ( I believe this has one piece construction with leather tongue?)
Lowa Tibet
Kennetrek Hardscrabble
Schnees Timberline

Unless it's explicitly called out in product description or in a review, it's hard to tell what has full leather under laces and what doesn't. What am I missing and what do you love?

amateurhourhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a couple pie of lowa. Tibet and hunter extreme. Was on montague island for 5 days consistent rain and feet were dry. Was wearing gaiters. Never had an issue w the Tibet. Had the zephyr in Afghanistan. Legit boot. Not intended for super heavy pack loads tho.

Ehunter

FNG
I live in the northwest and the best boot I have found are Lowa renegade. The gortex has lasted for ever. As long as I wear gaitors. I have some 6 year old boots that I use now just for snowshoes and they still keep my feet dry.

Lawnboi

WKR
I wouldn’t discount the mountain extremes, they are still a light boot compared to some due to the foam midsole.

I bought mountain extremes for the exact reason you outlined. Full leather upper with minimal seams means a little more weather proof. They also don’t flex as much as a seam filled boot when wet IME.

peterk123

WKR
I wear schnees beartooths. Fishing from shore last weekend my feet were submerged half the time. Stayed dry. I swear that proper treatment of the leather is the secret.

wildcat33

WKR
You don't necessarily need a single leather piece boot to be water proof. You can have one without the other. How did you determine that there is no goretex lining under the tongue? That is very unusual, and if true an incredibly dumb design.

If you want all leather and all goretex, the first boot that comes to mind is scarpa kinesis. Zamberlan guide 960 (now 971 i think) is a nice boot. Lowa tibet is a classic, though a bit clunky IMO.

La Sportiva - Their all leather boots are burly. I love love love my Makalus when it gets steep and sketchy. The Karakurum is a nice step down into a little softer boot. They are traditional waterproofing, ie nixwax, beeswax, snowseal, etc. Super stiff so not a bowhunting boot... keep a set of vivobarefoot knockoffs in the pack for stalking in, but they stay dry, are indestructable and are as surefooted as it gets.

Last edited:

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
No issues with my Hardscrabble's. I put them through everything and anything without any concerns. I clean and treat them once a year.

Rokwiia

WKR
No issues with either the Schnee Absaroka (now the Granite mid lite) nor Timberlines. I use both the Schnee leather conditioner and Nixwax. A drop of water hasn't gotten through.

OP
homebru.trout
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I probably worded my requirements poorly in the my original post. Yes mixed material or synthetic boots can absolutely be waterproof...I actually looked at Zamberlan storm pros and baltoro lites. And my leather boots all get the sno-seal treatment which helps on those models. After watching my hunting partner breeze through the rainstorm in his treated leathers, that is what got me focused in that direction.

You don't necessarily need a single leather piece boot to be water proof. You can have one without the other. How did you determine that there is no goretex lining under the tongue? That is very unusual, and if true an incredibly dumb design.
@wildcat33 My conclusion is circumstantial but I was wearing my Thors and wetness started on the top of my foot along the arch and spread down toward the front of the boot and to the sides from there. The tongue was absolutely soaked through after an hour of hiking in the wet. The tongue material certainly doesn't feel like its got a membrane in it but instead just feels like a thin piece of synthetic material like spandex...it's stretchy and very flimsy/soft. While I can find no official Crispi documentation on this, several reviews I found online indicate that the tongue on at least two models (including Thors) is water resistant rather than water proof...which is an annoying thing to learn in a downpour.

I think at this point I'm hot on the trail of deciding between Schnees Beartooths and Timberlines. Thanks again to the community.

wildcat33

WKR
@wildcat33 My conclusion is circumstantial but I was wearing my Thors and wetness started on the top of my foot along the arch and spread down toward the front of the boot and to the sides from there. The tongue was absolutely soaked through after an hour of hiking in the wet. The tongue material certainly doesn't feel like its got a membrane in it but instead just feels like a thin piece of synthetic material like spandex...it's stretchy and very flimsy/soft. While I can find no official Crispi documentation on this, several reviews I found online indicate that the tongue on at least two models (including Thors) is water resistant rather than water proof...which is an annoying thing to learn in a downpour.

That will take the fun out of a hunt fast!

Schnees is a solid choice, I have the granite and beartooth's and they are the perfect hunting boot for the areas and seasons i like to hunt.

Seeknelk

WKR
I like the Crispi Nevada. It does have a leather tongue. Not sure if there is gore Tex in there too? Feet stay pretty dry, I dunno.

wapitibob

WKR
I have had 1 pair of boots that didn't leak in the last 25+ years, hanwag alaska but, they haven't seen much water.

All of the following have leaked the instant they touched water and all had less than 50 miles on them ...

lowa zephyr, lowa renegade, lowa cevedale
saloman x ultra (3 pair), salomon quest 4d
oboz bridger (2 pair)
merrell moab (3 pair)
vasque breeze (2 pair)
danner pronghorn (3 pair)

If rei sold crispi I'd probably try the monoco

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
So I spent a couple days in the rain last week with very wet and cold feet and am on the hunt for a new pair of boots. I currently own several pairs of Crispis (Thor Gen2, Dakota, Briksdahl Gen1) and the fit and feel is fantastic on all of them. All of these boots are GoreTex and all of them have a non-waterproof tongue (don't even get me started on the logic of that).

Bob,

All of our boots are built with a full Gore Tex booty that covers the entire inside of the boot including the tongue. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Thanks

Crispi US Customer Service
965 West 325 North

Lindon, UT 84042

OP
homebru.trout
Thanks for posting that info Bob. Could be wicking and seepage above the sides of the tongue I guess, or booty/liner failure. Disappointing after 2 seasons but the Schnees arrived today and going to give them a go.

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Check out the 6" and 8" Hoffman explorer. Made with durable 2.8 mill leather and a one piece vamp construction. Fully waterproof and a great traction Vibram sole.
www.hoffmanboots.com