IDFG PROPOSAL RAISING NONRESIDENT FEES, REDUCING TAGS FOR OUT OF STATE HUNTERS

Let me get this straight. There are 12,800 NRs and 100,000 residents and it is the NRs causing crowding issues?

That must be the new math they are teachingđŸ¤ª

I have never hunted Idaho and prob never will but a stated goal of limiting NR numbers by raising prices is just wrong on so many levels. And as I mentioned before, that makes your state game dept more dependent on NR dollars.

Billinsd

WKR
Gotta love these types of threads. I remember a few years ago here in NM when the outfitters solidified outfitter welfare thru politics (and in turn hosed nr's in the process) everyone was going to boycott our state. NR's are still applying for the draw, buying welfare tags from outfitters, and paying big bucks for LO tags......
Lots of folks get upset, however, when it comes to hunting or not, they tend to forgive. Many of us non residents are fools for hunting, myself included.

Rob5589

WKR
Let me get this straight. There are 12,800 NRs and 100,000 residents and it is the NRs causing crowding issues?

That must be the new math they are teachingđŸ¤ª

I have never hunted Idaho and prob never will but a stated goal of limiting NR numbers by raising prices is just wrong on so many levels. And as I mentioned before, that makes your state game dept more dependent on NR dollars.
Not exactly. Some zones are reportedly non res heavy but, overall resident hunter numbers are up, significantly. And you can't really restrict resident hunters so the only option is to either limit hunter numbers per zone, and or cut numbers altogether but reducing non res tags and raising prices.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
I was getting overrun by Californians I would probably be crabby too.

Here is some perspective

In Michigan we are paying to advertise in other states. Our hunting/fishing numbers are dropping at such an alarming rate that the state is in a panic. Believe me that’s a much worse problem to have.

Raise fees and Cap the OTC tags. Make sure the money is going to conservation and improving the herd. That’s the only answer.

kiddogy

WKR
I was getting overrun by Californians I would probably be crabby too.

Here is some perspective

In Michigan we are paying to advertise in other states. Our hunting/fishing numbers are dropping at such an alarming rate that the state is in a panic. Believe me that’s a much worse problem to have.

Raise fees and Cap the OTC tags. Make sure the money is going to conservation and improving the herd. That’s the only answer.
I believe it is only a matter of time before all states experience massive drops in hunter #s. the old timers are dying off and most youngsters lack the passion for hunting that the older generations had. I see very few continuing to hunt once they leave home and don't have their parents to pay all the hunting bills for them anymore. MY DAD was not a hunter but we kids, lived for nothing else. from the time we got our red ryder bb gun we were searching for something , anything ,to hunt. nowadays everyone is afraid they will shoot their eye out.
some few will grow up and continue to hunt. but I don't believe most will.

JMHO NMNL

Last edited:
Running some sketchy math here. You say this increases would replace the non resident income, but the numbers you utilize show and increase that would make NR = R.

In the first example residents would need to pay about $73.24 more and with the new prices about $106.78 more to "Replace" NR fees.

I wouldn't want to replace NR income as it is so large. I would advocate as a resident to cap units.

Also if you eliminated NR hunting, there is a good chance that other states would not allow Idaho residents to hi t in their state.

Overall as a NR I'm fine with the changes and recognize that Idaho will eventually recognize it's exploding resident hunter population and will have to with go to a draw system, or cap all zones.

You are correct, I misstated that it would replace NR dollars when I meant to say that it would equalize. I did this only to counter the argument that so many NR make that they are the saviors of hunting in western states and we residents should be immensely grateful that they would deign to hunt here. I also do not think it is necessary to completely eliminate NR hunters.

Currently NR are held to 10% max of Controlled hunt (draw) tags.

In the OTC capped zones NR quotas are currently anywhere from 20-35% of total tags. In other non-quota OTC zones there is currently no limit on how many NR can hunt certain specific zones as long as the statewide total is not exceeded.