IDFG "sharp shooters" kill 200 elk

87TT

WKR
I'd worry more about paying for all the people living off the system besides farmers. At least the farmers are working and contributing.

sasquatch

WKR
Article I read he did allow guys to hunt in oct

But that’s my point. I could let everyone on Rok slide hunt my farm. During sept season I might have 10 pronghorns at anyone time, right now In Jan I have well over 100 plus on my winter wheat and barely. Toss in the fact there is only 40 sept tags in entire unit anyway (w/100% success also) so even if I let every tag holder hunt my place I’d still be stuck with 100 plus on my winter wheat. Actually more probably because they wouldn’t all tag out.

Same thing for this farmer, Just because they are in there in great numbers in July doesn’t mean they are there after harvest which corresponds to an actual season.

That’s my point from earlier about tags. They dnt issue enough tags to create recreation but then it’s ok to kill em all on depredation tags.

And yes I get the season issue, but that could easily be fixed too. If it’s ok for the dept or you to just shoot them and leave them, it should be ok for a hunter to hunt them, no matter what time of year it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s my point from earlier about tags. They dnt issue enough tags to create recreation but then it’s ok to kill em all on depredation tags.

And yes I get the season issue, but that could easily be fixed too. If it’s ok for the dept or you to just shoot them and leave them, it should be ok for a hunter to hunt them, no matter what time of year it is.

I don’t disagree with you on that part.

MtnOyster

WKR
Does anyone know if they were shot on private or public land? If they were shot on private land at will by IDFG that’s pretty sad, all the guys going out there hunting coming home with nothing when IDFG could have let people shoot em on on Private land with I’m sure another special permit??? Kind of a slap in the face to res and non res hunters that would have loved to take a cow.

I understand why they do those things but they could at least let some of the people that are contributing to their F&G by purchasing a license and tag do it for them...

87TT

WKR
I read the news story about this and it said that it was a study to see if sharpshooters were effective to stop depredation.

87TT

WKR
I guess my point is, we can all second guess how it went but It may have been a highly controlled exercise. Designed to change the elks habits so they stay off the farms and where you as a hunter can pursue them. Meaning it may be beneficial to sportsmen and farmers if it works.

jmez

WKR
Every other thread on Idaho guys complain about overcrowding and lack of trophies. Now complaining that you can't be turned loose on a single farm with 100 other guys to shoot a cow.

For all the work is me hunters. How many would jump at this tag if it were the only tag you can get for the year and you must go shoot a cow on this farm when present. They'd be lucky to sell 20 of them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

sasquatch

WKR
Every other thread on Idaho guys complain about overcrowding and lack of trophies. Now complaining that you can't be turned loose on a single farm with 100 other guys to shoot a cow.

For all the work is me hunters. How many would jump at this tag if it were the only tag you can get for the year and you must go shoot a cow on this farm when present. They'd be lucky to sell 20 of them.

You’d have to try to find out!!!

If so, then maybe they come in and shoot the other 180 instead of 200!

At least something was OFFERED AND ATTEMPTED to create recreation! They dying anyway right?? Why can’t the general population have a chance to shoot them?? Plus you now BROUGHT IN money that can be allocated to protecting the resource vs simply just SPENDING money.

Okhotnik

WKR

I think they would sell out these tags in a a few minutes. Road hunters would love a hunt like this :LOL: 😂

87TT

WKR
I have no idea where you guys think they just went in and killed 200 elk. It was not done to manage the herd but as a STUDY to try to find a way to limit the depredation and re educate the elk. I am amazed at all the misinformation being thrown around.
As for shooting an elk grazing in a farm field, that is as far from sport as it can get. Hell if you like that kind of thrill, Buy a angus and shoot it in your garden. Cheaper and more meat.

KurtR

WKR
I have no idea where you guys think they just went in and killed 200 elk. It was not done to manage the herd but as a STUDY to try to find a way to limit the depredation and re educate the elk. I am amazed at all the misinformation being thrown around.
As for shooting an elk grazing in a farm field, that is as far from sport as it can get. Hell if you like that kind of thrill, Buy a angus and shoot it in your garden. Cheaper and more meat.

you do realize that is 90% of the hunting in the USA. Sitting on a food source waiting for animal to walk to it and then kill it. That’s pretty much whitetail hunting in a nutshell

87TT

WKR
you do realize that is 90% of the hunting in the USA. Sitting on a food source waiting for animal to walk to it and then kill it. That’s pretty much whitetail hunting in a nutshell
Deer are not elk and elk are not deer. We are talking apples and watermelons. If it was just a matter of killing X amount of elk, that might work. But they were probably targeting specific animals in a herd to elicit a certain response, that is getting the elk to stay out of the fields. So unless the researchers sat with the hunter and told him which one to shoot. it wouldn't work. They were also probably doing some of this at night. The average hunter would not be an option for this study. If you want to get upset about something, you should go after poachers, wolves, lions, slob hunters who have trampled crops, left gates open, wasted game etc.

jmez

WKR
I know a couple of elk farms that will sell you one.

That would cost money. We expect this to be completely free, other than the cost of the tag, on someone's private property. You know, kind of a subsidized elk hunt.............................................

TJ

WKR
Mr. McFarland has received $1,220,137 since 1995 in farm subsidies.

There has to be a better way to stop the elk than killing all of them.