IDFG "sharp shooters" kill 200 elk

KurtR

WKR
Deer are not elk and elk are not deer. We are talking apples and watermelons. If it was just a matter of killing X amount of elk, that might work. But they were probably targeting specific animals in a herd to elicit a certain response, that is getting the elk to stay out of the fields. So unless the researchers sat with the hunter and told him which one to shoot. it wouldn't work. They were also probably doing some of this at night. The average hunter would not be an option for this study. If you want to get upset about something, you should go after poachers, wolves, lions, slob hunters who have trampled crops, left gates open, wasted game etc.

I am not up set at all but saying it cant be done by hunters just isnt true. So your trying to say shooting one cow over another is going to get some kinda response that will keep the others from coming back. They are smart but i think thats giving a little to much credit that they reason like that. They are doing about the same thing with wind cave national park here in south dakota with elk. You go with a group who is lead by a biologist find the elk they point them out and you shoot them. Then you have to pack them out of there. Plus what the difference of shooting an elk in the field feeding or shooting a deer they are both dead.

87TT

WKR
Still different. They are NOT just killing elk to reduce the herd. They are trying to change their behavior. They may be targeting the "lead" cows. And they were probably doing it at night. The "study happened over several months and a large area (5 units). The sheer logistics of leading an average hunter around to do this would be crazy.

87TT

WKR
Besides, if their research works to stop depredation, maybe then they could come up with a plan to use it with tag holding hunters and get the farmers to go along. Instead We sit and complain when maybe we should support or at least wait and see if it works.

KurtR

WKR
Besides, if their research works to stop depredation, maybe then they could come up with a plan to use it with tag holding hunters and get the farmers to go along. Instead We sit and complain when maybe we should support or at least wait and see if it works.

Again i am not complaining I dont think having a discussion on it is a bad thing. I think most game and fish do a good job but just blindly letting them do what ever with out question is a tough route to go. There is quite a bit of depredation on crops on the foothills in the black hills i know that there are multiple license sold and then ranchers and hunters are put in contact here in South Dakota to shoot the cow elk. Elk will destroy a corn field in short order.

For July night hunt?
For sure...a full freezer is a full freezer no matter the time of year. Cow hunt with some trout fishing mixed in ID sounds like a great way to beat the summer heat here..sign me up. I shoot hogs at night all year long to keep meat in the freezer.

zach14

FNG
Wildlife/Ag encounters is a real problem and I am all for finding solutions. The state department of wildlife owns and manages these animals and the responsibility is on them to minimize conflict or reimburse for damages. Think of it this way, if my livestock were consistently getting into the neighbors fields and causing damage who would be accountable? Would it be acceptable to do nothing and let the damage continue? Of course not, so why is it ok for deer and elk to do the same? Not to mention how important the farmers and ranchers PRIVATE land is to the public resource of wildlife. The number of comments in this thread that are anti-Ag blow me away.