If there's will there's a way

EdB.

FNG
Hey folks. I've been following other posts about Montana spring bear hunting so I hope not ask questions already asked.
A friend and I have a certain window to work within to experience our first Montana bear hunt. Basically we'd arrive around April 23rd. and be home May 7th.
We realize that's early but we're willing to put in whatever work it takes. We are actually looking to get off roads and trails and stay a few nights in the woods if possible. He has a Razr if that can get us past where the truck will go.
Is it likely we can access the Flathead National Forest and access bear county?
I hear if it's really early to watch north facing slopes for bears coming out of dens.
Also considering watching south-facing green ups. Are we to early for the latter?
I'm hoping with our long term hunt we can adjust plans and find bears.
Thanks in advance.

OP
E

EdB.

FNG
Pretty sure hunting in the Flathead area is banned.... You should check the regs
Thank you. I honestly have been trying to figure out where we can and can't hunt. I seen info on areas closed to hound hunting. And obviously can't hunt national parks and Indian reservations.
Was thinking 110 north of Whitefish.
As I'm double checking now I can't find info restricting hunting there.
I will keep searching and try and find my mistake.
Screenshot_20220312-111808_Drive.jpg

OP
E

EdB.

FNG
Honestly. I'm willing to learn from my mistakes but I don't see where I'm restricted from spot and stalking 110. OnX shows it as Flathead National forest. I see it as grizz territory and portions restricting hounds.Screenshot_20220312-141752_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20220312-143334_onX Hunt.jpg

Honestly. I'm willing to learn from my mistakes but I don't see where I'm restricted from spot and stalking 110. OnX shows it as Flathead National forest. I see it as grizz territory and portions restricting hounds.View attachment 390427 View attachment 390425
You're solid on spot and stalk in 110. In my opinion it's a bit early as there will be areas you cannot access due to snow, but it's still doable.

If you're driving I would recommend throwing in some mountain bikes as you'll be able to get behind closed gates that you won't be able to with a side-by-side. Throw in some snow shoes too.

It's definitely griz country, but if there's two of you it's certainly better than solo especially when you get a bear on the ground. I've hunted the North Fork quite a bit. Shoot me a PM if you'd like.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
You're solid on spot and stalk in 110. In my opinion it's a bit early as there will be areas you cannot access due to snow, but it's still doable.

If you're driving I would recommend throwing in some mountain bikes as you'll be able to get behind closed gates that you won't be able to with a side-by-side. Throw in some snow shoes too.

It's definitely griz country, but if there's two of you it's certainly better than solo especially when you get a bear on the ground. I've hunted the North Fork quite a bit. Shoot me a PM if you'd like.

I'm actually thinking out won't be early this year with these temps but who knows? I'm thinking about skipping turkey altogether and just going after bears this season

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
E

EdB.

FNG

It's definitely griz country, but if there's two of you it's certainly better than solo especially when you get a bear on the ground. I've hunted the North Fork quite a bit. Shoot me a PM if you'd

Thank you. I can't PM but am considering upgrading my account. I do want to take you up on that though.
We aren't necessarily set on where we hunt yet. It seems the peaks are lower in that area and possibly more accessible because of that. We've done some research and we both excited about it.
Also considered around Yaak.
We have bikes and shoes. Also we have access to snow machines if they're preferable over a side by side that time of year.
We would look into the legalities of where they can be ridden.

I also plan to be spring bear hunting in the northern portion unit 110 the last week of April and first week of May. Now that we’re closer to that date does anyone have any predictions about access conditions around that time? We of course have a 4X4 and are experienced backpacking in Grizz country, but am more curious about how socked in the area might be with snow? We plan to hunt out of a cabin on the north fork of the flathead and hope to access the Flathead natl Forrest from there. Thanks in advance for any advice/predictions!

bsnedeker

WKR
I also plan to be spring bear hunting in the northern portion unit 110 the last week of April and first week of May. Now that we’re closer to that date does anyone have any predictions about access conditions around that time? We of course have a 4X4 and are experienced backpacking in Grizz country, but am more curious about how socked in the area might be with snow? We plan to hunt out of a cabin on the north fork of the flathead and hope to access the Flathead natl Forrest from there. Thanks in advance for any advice/predictions!
You'll be golden by May. We are in a bit of a cold snap right now but it was in the 50s and 60s in the valley for the last couple weeks and it's about to warm back up.

Looks like there’s been a fair amount of snow up there since my last inquiry. Any advice on a hunt starting in the Flathead National Forrest on the 27th of this month? Are we too early? Will there be any green up to hunt or will everything be under snow? We have snow shoes, micro spikes etc. and know how to use them but want to make sure we’re not wasting a 25 hr drive to stair at the snow. Thanks in advance for any advice.

bsnedeker

WKR
Looks like there’s been a fair amount of snow up there since my last inquiry. Any advice on a hunt starting in the Flathead National Forrest on the 27th of this month? Are we too early? Will there be any green up to hunt or will everything be under snow? We have snow shoes, micro spikes etc. and know how to use them but want to make sure we’re not wasting a 25 hr drive to stair at the snow. Thanks in advance for any advice.
I was actually thinking about this post just the other day! The cold snap we were supposed to get has turned into a cold streak that doesn't seem like it's going to let up anytime soon. We are also supposed to see some more snow over the next week.

I'm actually planning on taking my SxS out into the Flathead this weekend to see what it looks like. I can report back and let you know.

I was actually thinking about this post just the other day! The cold snap we were supposed to get has turned into a cold streak that doesn't seem like it's going to let up anytime soon. We are also supposed to see some more snow over the next week.

I'm actually planning on taking my SxS out into the Flathead this weekend to see what it looks like. I can report back and let you know.

Very cool. Look forward to hearing what it’s like. Good luck poking around up there!

OP
E

EdB.

FNG

Thank you. I'm excited to find out!!
Any chance you can send pictures??
I'm dying to see what bear country looks like right now. We'll be there hunting on the 24th. Might hunt near Yaak as well.
Sounds like it could be a tough hunt!! Can't wait!!

Thank you. I'm excited to find out!!
Any chance you can send pictures??
I'm dying to see what bear country looks like right now. We'll be there hunting on the 24th. Might hunt near Yaak as well.
Sounds like it could be a tough hunt!! Can't wait!!
I can understand your excitement. We've all been waiting to get into the woods after winter, however we still have a good snow load here. In fact, with the recent storm we still have snow in town. It's supposed to snow later today and it's currently 19°. This week's forecast is high 40s to low 50s.

We need a couple weeks of weather in the 60s - 70s for the snow to melt and for the vegetation to start popping. Even then, the south facing slopes might have the snow melted off, but the roads are still inaccessible due to snow.

If you can, I would strongly encourage you to push back your time of when you'll be here. It'll make your trip much more enjoyable. 24 hours is a heck of a long drive - especially with the current gas prices - to not have the best experience possible.

I'll try to get some photos of the foothills around town (which is much lower in elevation) to show how much snow we still have. We're taking a family day trip down to the bison range so no guarantee I'll get it done today.

bsnedeker

WKR
Just got back from the Flathead, the news is not good for your upcoming trip. There is a good amount of snow even at the lowest elevations. Still a couple of feet thick in some places. I had my tracks on my SxS so I got back pretty deep, but the further back I got the deeper the snow. The south fork of the Flathead River is still mostly frozen.

I'm not big on taking pictures so I don't really have anything to share, but the odds of getting into bears in the next 2 weeks seems very minimal to me.

OP
E

EdB.

FNG
Thanks for the report bsnedeker. Much appreciated.
Luckily I'm in a situation that allows me to also hunt just after mothers day and can spend another week at it.
My friend is kind of locked into the time he can get.
We are also considering north of Yaak. Maybe around Purcell Mountains.
I'll call the local hunt planner tomorrow and see if it's the same situation over there.
I don't mean to sound so eager. We just happened to get into a short notice situation that allowed us the opportunity to do this. We'd switch gears and hunt something somewhere else but we already bought our licenses/tags.
So hopefully we can find a fair report somewhere.

I’ve gotta say a sincere thanks to you local guys giving us outta staters advice. Bsnedeker, i totally appreciate the scouting report. We’re pushing our hunt back to the last week in May. Effectively the last week of the season for that unit. We’ll be hunting out of Polebridge, and if you guys are up that way I’d love to buy you a beer or 3. Thanks again!