If you buy a Helinox Zero….

Poser

WKR
If you buy a Helinox Zero because it’s summer scouting season, you’re doing a whole lot of glassing, backcountry trips are 1-2 nights out and therefore more indulgent with regards to comfort, what happens next?

1. You’re spoiled and the chair must accompany you on all backcountry trips going forward, weight penalty be damned?

2. You’re disciplined enough to revert back to a butt cushion when the weight really starts to matter on extended trips.

Current setup:

996935d51c0c887ee9475634256f436e.jpg

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Ha! I went through this exact scenario, and its #1 for me. The only time I don't bring it, is on a one night spike out where time is more critical then weight, and there's not much time to sit.
Love the zero chair

BBob

WKR
2. disciplined enough to revert back to a butt cushion when the weight really starts to matter on extended trips. :)

Seriously, a chair is really nice (I have the Helinox and a Hillsound BTR stool) but I get by fine with a pad when I have/choose to.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
#1 for me, no doubt. I cut weight elsewhere. That chair is gold to me for glassing sessions and comfort after a long day of hunting/hiking.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Nature provides plenty of chairs. You dudes are getting soft.

I get paid to sit in a chair, why would I ever do it for free?

MtnMuley

WKR
I've camped and glassed in plenty of spots where nature didn't provide chit. I'll sacrifice that lb for the use it gets on most trips.

Moserkr

WKR
You wont ever know how good that coors tastes unless you’re leaning back in your “backcountry lazyboy”. Im still for #2

I just returned from a successful scouting trip and forgot both my chair and my sit pad…. So i had nothing. My buddy had his zero and was just laughing at me the whole time.

I usually use the chair. Occasionally i want to go further and harder, as light as possible, and just take the pad. The chair and the hot tent stove are my two comfort items. For glassing, that chair is priceless all day comfort. If its cold, that sit pad makes the chair much warmer to sit on so bring both for the cold.

sndmn11

WKR
Why? It’s only 2oz lighter. I mean, I can sit on the ground and lean against a rock and be more comfortable than “relaxing” on a stool.

For glassing I find it to be a better position and much more comfy.

Chair Zero in the tent with a Hillsound ottoman.

Drenalin

WKR
I'd rather have a Coors and a Z-seat than no Coors and a chair.

I've got the Hillsound stool, and it's fine. I've also got a Helinox knock off and like it better for comfort, though the point about being in a better glassing position with the stool is valid in most situations.

ShakeDown

WKR
Last weekend I was scouting and had 20#+ of just optics and game cameras... what the hell is 1 more lb for a camp chair?!

I actually brought both the Z Seat and the Chair Zero. Now that combo is luxury.

cmahoney

WKR
The helinox is totally worth the weight for scouting and glassing for hours. Easily justified when I’m not packing a rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slugz

WKR
Strapped that chair to a mule?
Naw. Kept it in the box it came in and put it in the back of a Polaris Ranger :)

I got a Helinox a few weeks back and will try it out for the first time on a AK caribou hunt in 30 some odd days.

Helinox is nice but it is not well suited to all types of terrain.

It can sink which leads to add-ons which leads to more weight. The Vibram balls work well but add another 8 ounces.

It really needs level ground to work. You can stack objects under one or more legs but it can literally come tumbling down with the slightest movement.

I have a 1 pound BP stool as well as the BTR. Both get used significantly more than my Helinox because of terrain.

I rarely rely on a dedicated pad for a seat. Too much cactus and things with thorns.